Motor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor replacement

Would you consider a replacement of a motor in an old car an improvement?
    Last edited by Gretel; 04-25-2016, 09:45 AM. Reason: add. content

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    Would you consider a replacement of a motor in an old car an improvement?
    I would consider it Restoration. Replacement of a part or a combination of parts that comprises a major component (or significant portion of a major component for building property) or substantial structural part.

Therefore capitalize.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

if we are talking about a business vehicle, I say it is a repair/maintenance item ordinary and necessary to maintain functionality of the vehicle.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        if we are talking about a business vehicle, I say it is a repair/maintenance item ordinary and necessary to maintain functionality of the vehicle.
        I agree.

But that depends on the cost.

If you are putting a $2,000 motor in a used $4,000 pickup purchased a couple of years ago, I would say depreciate. Sec 179.

If you are putting a $5,000 motor in a $75,000 Tractor over-the-road unit, then you have repairs.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

I don't think the cost should be a factor unless the motor is not "like and kind". i.e. if the TP replaced with same motor repair; if it was a super upgrade motor then the excess of the normal repair may have to be depreciated.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X