1040x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1040x

Am I the only one tempted to simply type "Turbo Tax" in the explanation of changes section?

Lol. :-)

Comment

No

Thank you all "self prepared" software
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

it's not the software its the person entering the information.

Comment

And

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
          and Thank you all "self preparers"

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
            I'm not so sure. College age gal did return on TT, and then mom found out she claimed herself. Gal claimed 800 in student loan interest which I knew was not right. I had her go online to produce her 1098E. She didn't know there was such a thing as a 1098E, so appears TT did not ask for the amount on the form. She also didn't know there was such a thing as a 1098T yet claimed 2.2K of AOC. Amount she claimed bears no resemblance to amounts reported on 1098T. 8863 has checked that 1098T was not received. Gal called TT to help her with an amended return to release exemption. What TT had her print to amend was the 1040A and no 1040x. Only change on this 1040A to the original was they moved the AOC to education deduction.
            Last edited by kathyc2; 04-14-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

It's probably been 10-15 years ago, but I had a client move in with her BF. It was his house and his income was about 10x hers. I told her she couldn't claim HOH, and she said that TT would let her. I thought she was just not understanding the questions, but when I went through it at no point did they ask if she paid over 1/2 the cost of keeping up the home. My IRS rep received a very irate e-mail over that one!

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                It's probably been 10-15 years ago, but I had a client move in with her BF. It was his house and his income was about 10x hers. I told her she couldn't claim HOH, and she said that TT would let her. I thought she was just not understanding the questions, but when I went through it at no point did they ask if she paid over 1/2 the cost of keeping up the home. My IRS rep received a very irate e-mail over that one!
                We all know that Americans don't like to read instructions! So to the layperson Head of Household sounds right if they are paying for their family's expenses. If I could get a dollar for all the organizers that I would get back with Head of Household check marked, I would have long retired!

I think IRS should have used a Filing Category code so that laypeople would be forced to read the instructions!
                Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Can't

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                  Can't blame only one software company (if it's to blame and not person doing input). Why? If you read some of the other posts on this and other sites blaming various software companies for not telling them where to input information. Rather should know or contact software tech support if software issue. The software is only a tool and end result should be reviewed before submitting a tax return.

Comment

Software no matter how intuitive does not replace knowledge and it is very tempting to answer the questions incorrectly if you are a self preparer of your own return and do not like the final outcome.

Just received a file on a new client that filed on Turbo Tax last year - had her provide her tax return, which was over 100 pages for a simple Wage, Tuition, Student Loan no schedule A, etc. get the picture - Have already found errors just in barely reviewing the documents.

No tuition ed deductions claimed, still going to college, no Student Loan Interest claimed - does not meet beyond standar deduction to file Sched A

This has to do with also my post NJ resident and working in NY - TP only fled in NJ - nothing in NY

Sandy

Comment

I have always felt that DIYers need to have some basic knowledge of tax law because no tax program is able to tell an error has been made so it is garbage in, garbage out. I also can't believe that the IRS allows self prepared software.
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                      X