legal fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legal fees

I received email from client who has sent monies to her now exdaughter-in-law for her divorce. Also was emails from lawyer to daughter-in-law stating that only non clients can write off legal fee when they pay for another person. Is this right? This is a new client and her husband doesn't know that she helped the daughter-in-law. Not sure about this. Please help

Legal fees for divorce aren't usually deductible anyway, with the exception of the portion that specifically relates to collecting alimony, so there's a good chance that the fees aren't deductible to begin with. Not sure from your question who is trying to deduct the legal fees - the DIL or your client, but I doubt that legal fees paid for another, regardless of the reason/nature are deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by FRAZZLED View Post
      I received email from client who has sent monies to her now exdaughter-in-law for her divorce. Also was emails from lawyer to daughter-in-law stating that only non clients can write off legal fee when they pay for another person. Is this right? This is a new client and her husband doesn't know that she helped the daughter-in-law. Not sure about this. Please help
      If anything your client gifted to her ex daughter in law the money.

If anyone is entitled to any legal fee deduction to collect taxable income, it would be the now ex daughter in law.

Since that woman is not your client, you need to proceed carefully.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
      X