No announcement yet.

special worksheet - leased vehicle in like kind exchange with an owned vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

special worksheet - leased vehicle in like kind exchange with an owned vehicle

This involves a new leased vehicle in a like kind exchange and not a “purchase” of new vehicle and business use not 100% - DOES IT REQUIRE A special worksheet BECAUSE IT INVOLVES A LEASE

Is there a special worksheet for a new LEASED vehicle that old OWNED vehicle was traded in (trade in value $3750) on the lease to arrive at the new leased vehicle BASIS? Or is this considered a sale of the old vehicle?

SCENARIO:
    Traded in Business use auto having only 1 year standard mileage rate of 5120 miles (deduction of $2867) taken in 2014 (no other depreciation taken) for a new lease vehicle of Total Capitalized Cost/Adjusted Capitalized Cost of $31,304 and old OWNED vehicle trade in value $3750.

Thanks in advance
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

I'm not sure of this, but my first thought is that is would not be a Like-Kind. I would think that the lease doesn't qualify for the 1031 treatment.

I just Googled it, and this answer is from by smartest tax person that I know:

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by TaxGuyBill View Post
      I'm not sure of this, but my first thought is that is would not be a Like-Kind. I would think that the lease doesn't qualify for the 1031 treatment.

I just Googled it, and this answer is from by smartest tax person that I know:
      https://accountants-community.intuit...leased-vehicle
      Before posting, should have reviewed the difference between tax accounting and book accounting of leases.

Will have to see if lease agreement is a "true tax" lease or "non tax" lease. That will determine if it is a like kind exchange or outright sale of old vehicle.

ps thought you were the smartest tax person that you know!��
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
      X