Is there a web site that will look up Business Federal ID's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a web site that will look up Business Federal ID's

I need a free web site that will look up Business Federal ID's or at least a web site where you can put in the Federal ID & it give you the business name that matches it.

I keep getting a rejection for un-matched business name & federal ID for:

BNY Mellon Disbursement Agent
    Alcoa 123
    P O Box 563942
    Charlotte, NC 28256
    Federal ID 25-1926855

As the tax deadline draws near, I seem to encounter more of these problems over a weekend, at night, or on a holiday when the business or clients are not available to help me.

I would appreciate any help. mikeburg

Originally posted by mikeburg View Post
    I need a free web site that will look up Business Federal ID's or at least a web site where you can put in the Federal ID & it give you the business name that matches it.

Alcoa 123
    P O Box 563942
    Charlotte, NC 28256
    Federal ID 25-1926855

As the tax deadline draws near, I seem to encounter more of these problems over a weekend, at night, or on a holiday when the business or clients are not available to help me.

I don't think there is a free database that you can look up tax ID? (ID thieves would have a field day)

But you can make a quick call and verify their tax ID if you identify yourself properly.

If you have any question about your pension benefit check or direct deposit (such as missing payment or tax witholding), please contact BNY Mellon Asset Servicing/The Bank of New York Mellon at 1-800-634-7936. You can speak to a customer service representative each Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. (EST).
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Alcoa 123
      P O Box 563942
      Charlotte, NC 28256
      Federal ID 25-1926855

Try it with NY Mellon. When I enter the FID in my personal database it comes up NY Mellon, so at some point I had one go through with that but I can't tell you how long ago it may have been.

Comment

Thank you so much.

Thanks to you. mikeburg

Comment

Thanks to you. mikeburg
          Just curious where the error is coming from on the mismatch. Is it from software vendor rejection or actual IRS? I don't remember ever getting one which is surprising since I like to abbreviate.

Comment

It is an IRS reject code.

It is an IRS reject code although I use Lacerte individual tax software.

We have to put that code on the 8948 form to paper file.

Thanks for any ideas. I don't think I have ever had this problem out of all the years I have been e-filing tax return.s

mikeburg

Comment

google Fed EIN there is at least one site that has a list. Or call the issuer.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

It is an IRS reject code although I use Lacerte individual tax software.

We have to put that code on the 8948 form to paper file.

Thanks for any ideas. I don't think I have ever had this problem out of all the years I have been e-filing tax return.s

mikeburg
                The EIN you have is the correct one. I have a document with that on there. Perhaps their software is reading a space somewhere? I would delete the input and try to re-key. Or delete the entire entry and re-type.

Comment

I have a client who gets a 1099R through BNY. Your EIN as stated is correct.

I submit the data as you have it, the only difference being 2nd line & address. Never had a reject.

To my knowledge, IRS is looking at the name control of the payer & EIN.

As suggested above, delete the form & re-enter.

Comment

My software company says they are seeing the wrong 1099-R referenced.

Hey, I had other clients that e-filed with no problems using this name & federal ID referenced above. However,
                    in discussing the problem with Lacerte support, they said they are seeing the IRS referencing 01 as the problem when it is actually the last (3rd) 1099-R that has the mismatched federal ID & Name.

When I looked at my number 3 1099R, it's an IRA distribution (1st distribution for the TP) from a local bank in a neighboring Texas town. When I called that bank, the "employee" who helped me said they have had other calls like mine but also had others that had no problem (though I don't know how she would know).

This "employee" confirmed the name "Corsicana & Co" & their federal ID of 75-2256771. However, she would not look further to see if that's the original name when the federal ID was obtained, if the name has been changed since the federal id has been obtained or what the IRS could have on file. I suggested an officer of the bank call the IRS & get the exact name & spelling if the federal ID is correct. Instead, she was adamant that the name & ID number are correct!

It would be nice if the IRS could send something to the taxpayer that they can carry to the payer & get the correct matching ID & name.

I would welcome any other ideas. Thanks for you your help. mikeburg

Comment

I think you may have answered your own question in the info above. The IRA is being paid out "from a local bank," and if they are the custodian of those funds on behalf of the company, they are the payor and not the company. And it is an IRA, you say? So is it the bank's EIN? If so, therein lies the problem. Name and number do not match.
                      Last edited by Burke; 04-17-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Missing

What a nightmare. If all the reply posters suggestions and your efforts does not work consider filing 4868.

Missing is client calling payor to get it finally resolved.
                        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X