Donations to non profit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donations to non profit

I have a client who is the president of a 501c3 she created in 2014. In 2015 she donated 50,000 to her non profit to purchase equipment and supplies for the non-profit. As the president of the non-profit is she entitled to take a charitable contribution deduction on her personal return for this deduction if the non-profit can provide a receipt for the contribution or is it a conflict of interest because she is the president? She does not want to jeopardize the non profit or cause any problems with it.

GTS1101

Non Profit

When did she donate the $ 50,000?
    Before or after it got the IRS exemption?

Then you need to deal with whether it's a 50% AGI donation or 30%.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Property or Non-Cash

I would not buy this stuff and then give it. Donate the money to the non-profit and then let THEM buy it.

It's probably OK the way it happened, but I certainly would hate to itemize this as a non-cash contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
        When did she donate the $ 50,000?
        Before or after it got the IRS exemption?

Then you need to deal with whether it's a 50% AGI donation or 30%.
        She made the donation after she got the IRS exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
          I would not buy this stuff and then give it. Donate the money to the non-profit and then let THEM buy it.

It's probably OK the way it happened, but I certainly would hate to itemize this as a non-cash contribution.
          She donated the 50,000 in cash to the non-profit and the non-profit purchased the equipment and supplies.

Comment

Taxpayer should keep all records and a pair trail to make sure upon audit it can be demonstrated that it was an arms length transaction. I think the chances of an audit are much more in a situation where the 990 is going to show one large donation from one taxpayer who created the non-profit.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X