Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1099-R paid to Estate, can it be distributed to heirs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-R paid to Estate, can it be distributed to heirs?

Annuity was paid to Estate under Estate's TIN/EIN. Annuity 1099-R (code 4) had Fed tax w/h. Can the Annuity taxable amount be distribute to the Heirs by way of K-1 to each Heir? Am I correct that the Annuity can be distributed to the Heirs and the Estate tax return deducts the distribution, the Executor then will receive the 1099-R Fed w/h by way of Estate Fed income tax refund?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Annuity was paid to Estate under Estate's TIN/EIN. Annuity 1099-R (code 4) had Fed tax w/h. Can the Annuity taxable amount be distribute to the Heirs by way of K-1 to each Heir? Am I correct that the Annuity can be distributed to the Heirs and the Estate tax return deducts the distribution, the Executor then will receive the 1099-R Fed w/h by way of Estate Fed income tax refund?
    If the estate is preparing the final 1041 and K1 for the beneficiaries then the taxable amount, taxes withheld, taxes paid can be passed on. The key is final 1041!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Yes, its a final 1041 Estate tax return

Comment

Why would it need to be a final Form 1041 in order to distribute income reported on a 1099-R to beneficiaries?
        "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

The 1099-R was issued to the Estate.

Originally posted by Rapid Robert View Post
          Why would it need to be a final Form 1041 in order to distribute income reported on a 1099-R to beneficiaries?

Comment

That's what I meant, I guess I left a comma out. Why can't income, reported to the estate on a 1099-R, be distributed to beneficiaries prior to final year?
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

It can and often is. Since the taxable annuity has to come out first when distributions are made, it is reported on beneficiary's K-1, and is taxable to bene. Estate shows as income on 1041 and shows the federal and/or state income taxes withheld. Refunds, if there are any, come into estate and become part of the estate assets. The only items that can ONLY flow through on the final 1041 are excess administrative expenses and capital losses.
              Last edited by Burke; 04-06-2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X