How is your tax season going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is your tax season going?

Just curious. With all the free filing options out there, do you find your volume affected? We are approaching the home stretch and my volume is down about 1%. (18 more days!)

Having a good year...

Having a good year. Income up, running ahead of last year. I'm a one man shop have done so far
    about 375 returns and have a backlog of 15. Extension are starting.

Comment

Pretty good

Going pretty good, I think, until this week with the people who can't get it together. Don't have any stats.

Today has been torture. 4:20 and I just rolled the first one. Outta the printer, I can't believe where your mind went.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

PM me the printer model, will ya???

Comment

I am behind this year compared to last tax season. It appears some of my easy 1040s are being self prepared this season!
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Back

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            I am behind this year compared to last tax season. It appears some of my easy 1040s are being self prepared this season!
            We are experiencing an increase of prior clients who decided to self prepare and now rebooking with us and willing to pay fee increase.

Also new clients requiring catch up on prior years returns to be prepared and also specialized returns.
            Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-31-2016, 07:50 PM.
            Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I too am a 1 person office. I can barely get 200 done. I can't imagine 200 more. I am about even compared to last year.

Comment

Crying.

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                PM me the printer model, will ya???
                OK, don't get your nose out of joint.
                If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
                  I too am a 1 person office. I can barely get 200 done. I can't imagine 200 more. I am about even compared to last year.
                  Me too. And they still keep calling, even though I tell everyone I am not taking any new clients......

Comment

Another one-person office here. I have only lost a few easy ones to software this year. But it sounds like volume is down for other tax preparers I know, so this seems to be trend. In the past I've noticed that people who leave to use software usually come back because they made a mistake or got an IRS letter.

Comment

Originally posted by kamckinley View Post
                      Another one-person office here. I have only lost a few easy ones to software this year. But it sounds like volume is down for other tax preparers I know, so this seems to be trend. In the past I've noticed that people who leave to use software usually come back because they made a mistake or got an IRS letter.
                      I've only lost some easy ones. The NC SECU prepares simple returns for their members here for free, so have that to compete with too. But as soon as those people have ANYTHING else, they come back!!

Comment

Worst part of this tax season so far...

Finding out a client's daughter's cancer has spread (not treatable) and then having to tell them they owe almost $10K in taxes.

I felt horrible giving them that news after receiving such horrible news about their daughter

Comment

I have a very small, but complex, practice and keep getting new clients (accept referrals only) faster than I lose old clients. My clients' returns keep getting more complex -- with higher fees to me. I put as many as possible on extension, so I can earn money year round. I can prepare a lot more returns in 12 months (or 9.5 months plus prior year returns & amendments in the last 2.5 months of the year) than I could in only 3.5 months.

Comment

I symphazise! I have a number of clients this year that have experienced real hard ship, including son committing suicide. Elderly couple lost everything to fire. The woman touched me much by saying: We have to watch our thoughts, there is so much to be thankful for. I already felt bad sending her back to the church to get appropriate substantiation let alone bringing bad news for owing.

Comment

Working...
                            X