Amending MFJ to MFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending MFJ to MFS

Filed a return electronically by mistake. Filed taxpayers as joint when filing MFS will save them $500. I realize as long as I amend by 4/18/16 you can amend MFJ to MFS. My problem is do you do one amended the taxpayer and file a regular return for the spouse or do you file 2 amended returns. can't find any instructions on this.

Thanks

Bucky

My guess

I would amend both. They both signed the return. I think you need to amend both to essentially un sign the MFJ return.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
      Filed a return electronically by mistake. Filed taxpayers as joint when filing MFS will save them $500. I realize as long as I amend by 4/18/16 you can amend MFJ to MFS. My problem is do you do one amended the taxpayer and file a regular return for the spouse or do you file 2 amended returns. can't find any instructions on this.

Thanks

Bucky
      You amend the return you filed to MFS and remove the spouses info. (pay any money back if applicable)

Then you paper file the 2nd return with the info for the spouse you removed.

You cannot amend 2 returns as you only filed 1.

Chris
      Last edited by spanel; 03-31-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Once you file a joint return, you cannot choose to file separate returns for that year after the due date of the return. Do the original MFJ as a corrected return and get it mailed certified before 4/18/16
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X