Ohio return - need help with the local taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohio return - need help with the local taxes

I have a client who lived in OH all of 2015 in Chillicothe, SD 7106. Her employer withheld taxes for the SD - so I assume I need to prepare an SD-100, but want to confirm that is correct. Her employer also withheld tax for Circleville, which is where she works. Is there another return that needs to be filed for that? Gotta love Ohio.... Thanks in advance for any help!

Gotta

Originally posted by krav View Post
    I have a client who lived in OH all of 2015 in Chillicothe, SD 7106. Her employer withheld taxes for the SD - so I assume I need to prepare an SD-100, but want to confirm that is correct. Her employer also withheld tax for Circleville, which is where she works. Is there another return that needs to be filed for that? Gotta love Ohio.... Thanks in advance for any help!
    Curious what does "a client who lived in OH all of 2015 in Chillicothe, SD 7106" mean? They lived in Ohio or Chillicothe, SD 7106 ? Thought maybe OH was a suburb of Chillicothe, SD 7106

Unless it has change SD (South Dakota) does not have a personal income tax.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-20-2016, 12:48 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I think he means "School District." OH is lots of fun with all their quirky local taxes. Getting ready to do a part-year today or tomorrow so will have to review before answering unless someone else does first.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Burke View Post
        I think he means "School District." OH is lots of fun with all their quirky local taxes. Getting ready to do a part-year today or tomorrow so will have to review before answering unless someone else does first.
        Thanks for the good interpretation. Don't know how you interpreted it. So the client lived in OH all of 2015 and not Chillicothe, SD 7106

Think I will stay away from Ohio taxes if possible (South Dakota taxes is not a problem).
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-20-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you have to file local returns in the town you live in AND the town you work in. It varies all over the state. My software has tons of local OH tax return forms.

Comment

Yes

Yeah, sometimes you have to file local returns in the town you live in AND the town you work in. It varies all over the state. My software has tons of local OH tax return forms.
            My software does also but got stuck thought OH was a suburb Chillicothe, SD 7106
            Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-20-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

wish it was south dakota...

that would make this a whole lot easier, wouldn't it? Sorry - SD is School District. I know I have to file the one School District (SD100) form, but not sure if I have to file anything for Circleville, OH? The employer did withhold tax for Circleville....

Comment

Use this link to locate both cities....http://www.tax.ohio.gov/municipalities.aspx.

Comment

Ohio taxes

Use this link to locate both cities....http://www.tax.ohio.gov/municipalities.aspx.
                  Some cities in Ohio are mandatory filing and some are not. You must find out from their tax dept or web site.
                  This posting is for general discussion purposes and is not meant to be reliable tax advice.

Comment

You actually file a return in the city they lived not worked so in this case you would file a tax return for Chillicothe. Chillicothe tax code allows a credit of taxes paid to work cities of .8% of gross wages and their tax rate is 1.6% in 2015. This means your client will owe the city .8% of gross wages unless they paid estimates for 2015. The school district is either a tax on only earned income or Ohio adjusted income depending upon which one was passed for that school district. need any further help email me at mark@mctaxservice.com

Comment

I never said thanks for the help last year, Bucky - it was much appreciated and I had to refer back to it again this year to refresh my memory for this client! Appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by krav View Post
                        I never said thanks for the help last year, Bucky - it was much appreciated and I had to refer back to it again this year to refresh my memory for this client! Appreciate your help!
                        Bookmark this page. http://www.tax.ohio.gov/online_services/thefinder.aspx Its the State of Ohio's finder. Plug in an address and it will tell you all the taxable info for that address. Its accurate, but not 100%, I always double check against property tax records if an address is in question. Ohio relies on the county auditor property records for the final say.

Comment

Working...
                        X