Depreciation Recapture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation Recapture

Client sold personal residence in December 2015 and realized a gain; however, there is no tax consequence because the taxpayers meet the IRC 121 exclusion of gain rules. Personal residence had been a rental property from 2007 through 2013 while taxpayers were stationed in several states and oversees as part of the uniformed service. Would the taxpayers still have to report as long term capital gain the depreciation taken while residence was a rental? For what it's worth - there is no passive activity loss carryforward.

Yes. That portion of the gain equal to depreciation taken after (I believe) May 6, 1997, can not be excluded by ยง121.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

There is a nice worksheet in TB. I am not at the office so can't give you the page #.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

...but I don't believe this to be be capital gain but regular income with a maximum rate of 25%.

Comment

Depreciation Recapture - Passive Losses

​Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate them very much. The taxpayers originally did use the property as a personal residence from 2001 through 2007 before converting it to a rental. Also, they are not affected by the non qualified use rule because of the military deployment. So, they just have to report $34K in ordinary income due to depreciation recapture. Although it doesn't apply to my client, the rules seem unfair that you can't use some of that passive activity loss carried forward (PAL CF) amount to apply against the depreciation recapture. In theory, the PAL CF had imbedded depreciation that couldn't be taken advantage of, so why does a taxpayer have to report the recapture?

Comment

Originally posted by sinkotax View Post
            ​ Although it doesn't apply to my client, the rules seem unfair that you can't use some of that passive activity loss carried forward (PAL CF) amount to apply against the depreciation recapture. In theory, the PAL CF had imbedded depreciation that couldn't be taken advantage of, so why does a taxpayer have to report the recapture?
            You can release suspended PAL in a taxable disposition, which includes Sec. 121 treatment.

Originally posted by Gretal
            ...but I don't believe this to be be capital gain but regular income with a maximum rate of 25%.
            It's capital gain alright, reported on Page 2 of Schedule D.
            "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Unrecaptured section 1250 gain

See Schedule D line 19.

Comment

can't the depreciation taken be used to reduce the basis of this home? in doing so, reduces gain on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
                  can't the depreciation taken be used to reduce the basis of this home? in doing so, reduces gain on sale?
                  Read this three times, still scratching my head to figure how reducing basis would reduce gain.
                  "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

my bad!!! would increase gain. but gain would be part of the exclusion, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X