POA Signatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POA Signatures

**** & Doris both died in 2005. There were no other family members in the area (Austin, TX). I received a call from a lady in Maryland (Sister) who was Doris's sister. Seems, Doris had been out of contact with her family for 20 years. They didn't even know she was married!

Problem: Sister is trying to wind up the affairs of the deceased. She has been appointed by the court as an independent executor for Doris. We are trying to get the IRS information trasnacript to file the 2005 Form 1040. What do we do about the signature on ****'s half on the Form 2848? As far as Sister can determine from the neighbors, **** just appeared, he and Doris were married, and no one knows anything about his past, relatives, etc. Sister is not his executor so she isn't suppose to sign for him.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure but how about requesting just the info pertaining to the wife and file married filing seperate for final return.
    I am not sure this helps but I thought I would take a stab at it. Good Luck

Comment

Public Administrator

Contact the Public Administrator for the county in which he died. Unless there was a lot of money, they will do whatever is easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill Graff
        **** & Doris both died in 2005.
        Who died first? If Doris survived **** maybe the sister could file a joint 1040 filing as surviving spouse with only Doris' signature being signed by the executor sister. This of course does not address the issue of estate inheritance which no doubt will have to be probate court.

Comment

POA Signatures

**** died first, then Doris.

My big concern at the moment is filing a Form 2848 (POA) to find out what income had been reported to IRS for 2005. Can Doris's executor sign for ****? Technocally, Doris was ****'s executor. IRS isn't going to take the 2848 without a signature for each spouse or their executors.

Comment

Working...
          X