30% energy credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30% energy credit

is this the last year for a geothermal tax credit? if so, can it still be carried forward to future years if unused in 2016?

Start

Not all inclusive but maybe a start for your review:

IRC section48. Energy credit
    (a) Energy credit
    (1) In general
    For purposes of section 46, except as provided in paragraphs (1)(B), (2)(B), (3)(B), and (4)(B) 1 of subsection (c), the energy credit for any taxable year is the energy percentage of the basis of each energy property placed in service during such taxable year.
    (2) Energy percentage
    (A) In general
    The energy percentage is-
    (i) 30 percent in the case of-
    (I) qualified fuel cell property,
    (II) energy property described in paragraph (3)(A)(i) but only with respect to periods ending before January 1, 2017,
    (III) energy property described in paragraph (3)(A)(ii), and
    (IV) qualified small wind energy property, and

(ii) in the case of any energy property to which clause (i) does not apply, 10 percent.
    (B) Coordination with rehabilitation credit
    The energy percentage shall not apply to that portion of the basis of any property which is attributable to qualified rehabilitation expenditures.
    (3) Energy property
    For purposes of this subpart, the term “energy property” means any property-
    (A) which is-
    (i) equipment which uses solar energy to generate electricity, to heat or cool (or provide hot water for use in) a structure, or to provide solar process heat, excepting property used to generate energy for the purposes of heating a swimming pool,
    (ii) equipment which uses solar energy to illuminate the inside of a structure using fiber-optic distributed sunlight but only with respect to periods ending before January 1, 2017,
    (iii) equipment used to produce, distribute, or use energy derived from a geothermal deposit (within the meaning of section 613(e)(2)), but only, in the case of electricity generated by geothermal power, up to (but not including) the electrical transmission stage,
    (iv) qualified fuel cell property or qualified microturbine property,
    (v) combined heat and power system property,
    (vi) qualified small wind energy property, or
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

carryovers don't die just because the law did.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

did the 30% credit get extended to 2017?

Comment

As

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
          did the 30% credit get extended to 2017?
          As TAXEA states for the carryover and see TTB 11-15
          "carryovers. The Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit is not refundable, but unused amounts may be carried forward to the following year."

Concerned with 2015 and carryover, so now for 2017 think you got to put some effort in to find that answer
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Here is the answer

2023 & 2024 energy tax credits & rebates guides: Residential Clean Energy Credit, Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit, HEEHRA, & HOMES.
            Last edited by Gretel; 03-10-2016, 09:46 PM. Reason: old link before

Comment

thank you, that was very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
                thank you, that was very helpful
                It would be nice to refer to the host of this site, TheTaxBook, I think the answer could easily be found there.
                "You said it, they'll never know the difference. Come on, we'll paint our way out!" - Moe Howard

Comment

Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit - CARRYOVER

The TaxBook notates that the credit is extended through 2021, but the "carryover" paragraph only notates "...unused amounts may be carried forward to the following year." The word "year" is singular. Since the credit is extended through 2021, is the carryover also through 2021 or longer ? I have researched this question but cannot find any current literature on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X