Hawaii help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii help

I have new military clients. He filed MFS before she came in to get her taxes done. They have a child and would do better as joint. When he filed, he took 100% of the itemized deductions on the 1040.

He also filed HI as MFS of course. The HI return showed all of his mortgage interest and deductible mortgage insurance as a deduction. As I am recreating the tax return, I am unable to recreate that part unless I override the entry. I overrode it to recreate the original return so that I could make the changes and do the amendment.

Now, I'm amending, he is still MFS (she is TN) and it is still giving me a figure that is greatly reduced.

Sch A= Mortgage interest paid was $7896 on the 1098; $787 points not on a 1098; deductible mortgage insurance was $5536.

The worksheet is only giving him $4120 in interest and $411 in points.

So I need to ask if he should indeed get 100% of the Sch A deduction on the Itemized Deductions Worksheet A-3.

I have looked at HI in TTB All States, and it doesn't say that it needs to be reduced.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Are they both in the military? If not which one is? Was there a reason why he filed a Hawaii return at all? What is the reason why he filed MFS? Did he do this on the 1040 also? Which one paid the mortgage and property tax? What is his State of Residence if he is in the military?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      Are they both in the military? If not which one is? Was there a reason why he filed a Hawaii return at all? What is the reason why he filed MFS? Did he do this on the 1040 also? Which one paid the mortgage and property tax? What is his State of Residence if he is in the military?
      They are both military. His home of record is HI, hers is TN.

He filed HI because that is his military home of record.

He filed MFS because he wanted to. I am amending Federal to MFJ, but it looks as if I need to file HI as MFS because they are hitting her income, too if I file it joint.

(Remember that when he filed his HI return, he got 100% of those deductions! He used Taxslayer, and I don't know how he did it. Taxwise won't default to 100%.)

I don't know which one paid the mortgage and property tax. Probably both but I'll find out.
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X