Mass Part Resident Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Part Resident Return

I have a married couple that lived in Mass for 1 month (Jan 2015) then lived in RI for the rest of 2015. The wife has 2 W2's (1 with MA wages and 1 for RI). Her W2s are fine. The husband worked all year in RI. He did not change his address with payroll so his only W2 shows wages with MA withholding and none for RI.
    I am preparing the part year resident return with TaxAct for MA and RI. For the MA NR return, Line 5 shows the MA wages from the wife's MA W2 along with his wages that shows on his W2 (which are really RI wages). That figure comes from all the W2s I entered in the federal return. Then on the 3rd line (Adj to Mass wages) I am subtracting all of his W2 wages because they were earned in RI all year. the result is correct which is just her MA wages. I feel comfortable with this seeing I know how much the wages should be so no apportionment has to take place. My only concern is whether the state will question why the adjustment took place. I wonder if I should have done the apportionment instead, but I DO know how much the MA wages should be.
    I also did the RI one and it looks fine. Of course, they get a large refund for MA and have to pay for RI due the withholding in MA instead of RI.
    I would like to know if it appears that I am handling this the proper way. I don't know if MA will question why the adjustment seeing the W2 states the wages are in MA.
    Thanks for any comments.
Working...
X