the opposite sex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the opposite sex

A court in North Carolina has just overturned the 201 year old law outlawing unmarried cohabitation with a member of the opposite sex. Now shack ups in that state can claim an exemption without worrying about the "violation of local law" rule.

Some people think this is chipping away at the sanctity of marriage. I think it makes sense, because at least here in Califonria it is getting harder and harder to determine exactly who is the opposite sex.

??

A court in North Carolina has just overturned the 201 year old law outlawing unmarried cohabitation with a member of the opposite sex. Now shack ups in that state can claim an exemption without worrying about the "violation of local law" rule.
    Just say they can live together without breaking the law, where does it say they can claim an tax exemption?

Comment

Section 152

>>where does it say they can claim an tax exemption?<<

Section 152 (D)(2)(h)

Comment

Under seven requirements for dependency exemption for qualifying relative, one of which relates to a person who lives with t/p all year as a member of the t/p's household and not in violation of local law. See page 3-15 of The Taxbook or any other reputable tax research material.
        Last edited by jimmcg; 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Who is the opposite sex.

Originally posted by jainen

Some people think this is chipping away at the sanctity of marriage. I think it makes sense, because at least here in Califonria it is getting harder and harder to determine exactly who is the opposite sex.
          I'am all for not chipping away at the sancity of marriage. A bit off the subject, but speaking of "who is the opposite sex". Today's Washington Times reports that the same-sex couple who filed suit in the landmark decision in Massachusetts which made legal their marriage (being the 1st gay marriage) just got divorced.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA
            Today's Washington Times reports that the same-sex couple who filed suit in the landmark decision in Massachusetts which made legal their marriage (being the 1st gay marriage) just got divorced.
            It's tuff being first. The first heterosexual marriage ended with all of us dying. (Romans 5:12)

Comment

Virginia did away with it's dinosauric law about cohabitation last year too.

Comment

Commitment means something

Originally posted by Safire
                Virginia did away with it's dinosauric law about cohabitation last year too.
                I do appreciate your comment, Saphire, but I must state that I believe publicly bethrowed commitment is of such value, it not only has been around thousands of years, but will be around for thousands more.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA
                  I do appreciate your comment, Saphire, but I must state that I believe publicly bethrowed commitment is of such value, it not only has been around thousands of years, but will be around for thousands more.
                  So will gay marriage, so I guess we're even.

Comment

Impossible

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    So will gay marriage, so I guess we're even.
                    It is impossible for a gay couple to get married. Marriage, as defined by tradition and law, as between one man and one women. When the IRS's definition of who can file jointly on a tax return includes same sex legal unions , then we would really be seeing change in a big way. I don't see that happening.

Comment

I'm afraid I have to disagree. In ten to twenty years you will see official recognition. The schools are working hard to make that lifestyle acceptable.

Comment

religious sacrament

>>In ten to twenty years you will see official recognition<<

What you will see is a separation of church and state. There will be civil partnerships for legal purposes, with marriage as a religious sacrament.

Comment

The Schools

Originally posted by veritas
                          I'm afraid I have to disagree. In ten to twenty years you will see official recognition. The schools are working hard to make that lifestyle acceptable.
                          Such efforts are an infringement on parental rights on raising thier children with the values of thier choosing. Thus we are experiencing a massive exedos from these schools to private and charter schools, as well as homeschooling.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
                            >>In ten to twenty years you will see official recognition<<

What you will see is a separation of church and state. There will be civil partnerships for legal purposes, with marriage as a religious sacrament.
                            If this split is done, I suppose IRS will have to change thier terminology from "married filing joint" to something else. By the way, did you know, Jainen, that the words "separation of church and state" do not exist in the Constitution, no where to be found in the establishment clause or anywhere else.

Comment

a recent trip

>>IRS will have to change their terminology from "married filing joint" to something else<<

Since two-income families are now the norm, the MFJ tax break has become a marriage penalty. As marriage itself is redefined (variously in different states), we'll just go back to separate filing for everyone equally.

I learned this from the 2023 edition of Pub 17, which a friend of mine brought back from a recent trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X