estimated tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

estimated tax question

a former client asked for advice on estimated tax . he is expecting a 1099misc in may 2016 for $5000 and wants to send estimated tax. however, he owes IRS from 2-3 years ago. does anyone know if IRS will take the estimated payment for back taxes or will they allow it for the 2016 return.? thank you in advance

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
    a former client asked for advice on estimated tax . he is expecting a 1099misc in may 2016 for $5000 and wants to send estimated tax. however, he owes IRS from 2-3 years ago. does anyone know if IRS will take the estimated payment for back taxes or will they allow it for the 2016 return.? thank you in advance
    Make sure the estimated taxes are marked for the correct year either on the voucher on on the website. If the year is not marked IRS will apply to the oldest tax due amount.

If paying by check, mark the year and 1040 ES in the notes.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Even better payment option

I might suggest using the IRS online payment option, located at https://www.irs.gov/Payments/Direct-Pay

That way, you can designate a payment as 2016 Form 1040-ES and not have to worry about an IRS "error" occurring if a paper check / printed voucher arrives at some payment processing center.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
        I might suggest using the IRS online payment option, located at https://www.irs.gov/Payments/Direct-Pay

That way, you can designate a payment as 2016 Form 1040-ES and not have to worry about an IRS "error" occurring if a paper check / printed voucher arrives at some payment processing center.

FE
        Curious, I wasn't familiar with this only EFTPS, how does this compare? Do they charge fees?

Comment

Help

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
          Curious, I wasn't familiar with this only EFTPS, how does this compare? Do they charge fees?
          Have you tried going to the site recommended? If you do, check the "help" and it will answer your questions and more.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I have used the site personally, and also have several clients that I given instructions. Super easy, fast! No charges.

Sandy

Comment

Thank you !!

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              Have you tried going to the site recommended? If you do, check the "help" and it will answer your questions and more.
              Sometimes the answer is . . . really not that difficult to determine. . .

FE

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                Sometimes the answer is . . . really not that difficult to determine. . .

FE
                Was it easy to find? Your welcome 👍
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
                X