AOC Qualify Ed Exp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOC Qualify Ed Exp

For the American Opportunity Credit would a graduation fee be considered a qualifying education expense? The fee is not required for a specific class but is required to be awarded the degree.

Originally posted by TaxprepP View Post
    For the American Opportunity Credit would a graduation fee be considered a qualifying education expense? The fee is not required for a specific class but is required to be awarded the degree.
    Has anyone encountered this question before?

Comment

how much is the graduation fee? $5, 10 or 25 or even 50 dollars? what do you get for this fee? maybe a pretty print of the degree that you can frame and put on your wall? in the few students that I did their returns I never saw that on their transcripts from the school. is it a large fee that would make it worthwhile to use for the education expense?

Comment

Pretty

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
        how much is the graduation fee? $5, 10 or 25 or even 50 dollars? what do you get for this fee? maybe a pretty print of the degree that you can frame and put on your wall? in the few students that I did their returns I never saw that on their transcripts from the school. is it a large fee that would make it worthwhile to use for the education expense?
        If you take CE courses and after completion the CE provider gives you a "pretty print" certificate, were you charged separately for the "pretty print" or was it part of the fee (required) for the course?

So for the student:
        Is the fee for the "pretty print" which the student earned a "required fee", think it may qualify. Yes, the student earned it so frame it, be proud and positive and hang it on the wall for their accomplishment.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-16-2016, 10:04 AM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
          the fee was $50.00 charged by the university and was not included in the 1098-T. I have a transaction list of the students charges and credits. It is not listed on the student's transcript. The fee was required to be paid as a condition of BBA degree completion. The student could not graduate till the fee was paid. The school calls it a "graduation application fee".
          Also the student paid for "major field test" that is given a class number, 488T which is listed on their transcript and transaction list of charges and credits. Would you say this is a qualifying education credit?

Comment

Student activity fees are deductible.
            JMO but a graduation fee is deductible as a requirement of finishing the program.

Comment

Interesting

I saw a graduation fee that was included in the 1098-T.

Comment

Working...
              X