MFJ under filing threshhold, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFJ under filing threshhold, but

Taxpayers are under the filing threshhold, but they have rental income. It seems to me that they would still have to file a return. Correct?

I can't find anything regarding this situation.

Thank you!

If gross income is over the filing threshold they will have a filing obligation.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by carolf View Post
      Taxpayers are under the filing threshhold, but they have rental income. It seems to me that they would still have to file a return. Correct?

I can't find anything regarding this situation.

Thank you!
      Also they may have a state filing obligation even though no federal.

chris

Comment

I thought it was the same as self employed income over $400 gross.

Comment

you need to file a 1040 with a Sch E. There should be depreciation items etc that carryover from year to year.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

A taxpayer does NOT have to file a return just because he has rental income and there would be a Schedule E in his return. The IRS instructions (on page 7) very clearly set forth the filing requirements. In most cases it's based on "gross income," and that varies according to the filing status. When figuring gross income for "do I have to file" purposes, the total rents reported on line 3 of Schedule E are counted, but the expenses (including depreciation) are not. There are, of course, situations when the filing of a return is required that fall outside the normal "gross Income" levels ... $400 in S-E income being one of them.

If a taxpayer is not required to file, he must still calculate depreciation the same as always, and he must also track his PAL carryovers.
            Roland Slugg
            "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
              I thought it was the same as self employed income over $400 gross.
              I believe that rule applies to Sch C. The IRS does not consider rentals a business.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X