Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W2 - no SS/MC wages, no SS/MC withholdings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W2 - no SS/MC wages, no SS/MC withholdings...

Client has a W2 from the Department of the Interior for fighting fires in the western states last summer. The W2 has wages in Box 1 and federal withholding is Box 2. However, Boxes 3, 4, 5 and 6 are all zero. Any ideas on why this W2 would be missing amounts in the these boxes?

I found this entry in the list in Chapter 15 of IRS Pub 15:

Government Employment:
    Description/Category of Worker:
    Emergency workers. Emergency workers who were hired on a temporary basis in response to a specific unforeseen emergency and aren't intended to become permanent employees.

Treatment Under Employment Taxes:
    Income Tax Withholding:
    Withhold
    Social Security and Medicare:
    Exempt if serving on a temporary basis in case of fire, storm, snow, earthquake, flood, or similar emergency.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
      I found this entry in the list in Chapter 15 of IRS Pub 15:

Government Employment:
      Description/Category of Worker:
      Emergency workers. Emergency workers who were hired on a temporary basis in response to a specific unforeseen emergency and aren't intended to become permanent employees.

Treatment Under Employment Taxes:
      Income Tax Withholding:
      Withhold
      Social Security and Medicare:
      Exempt if serving on a temporary basis in case of fire, storm, snow, earthquake, flood, or similar emergency.
      Correct. Your tax prep software may throw an error while processing and you will need to either override the error or put 0 in those empty boxes to process.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

College students may encounter same scenario

I've seen the same thing with students who have "school jobs" while in college.

Their W2 shows federal and state wages plus withholding, and nothing on the two FICA/Medicare lines.

I do not recall having any problems efiling the returns. Worst was perhaps a software "alert" letting me know of a potential data entry error on my part.

FE

Comment

If their earnings for doing poll voting work exceed the minimum limit, in Arkansas, they will received this type of W2. I ran into this a couple of years ago and found out it was correct. I think that I had to put 0 in the box to make the software work.
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
          X