Need to report Roth IRA year end value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to report Roth IRA year end value?

TP brought in the document reporting year end valuation. TP did not add nor take any distributions. No form number # on document. I am leaning this is an "information only" document and nothing needs to be reported on TP's tax return from this document, am I correct?

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    TP brought in the document reporting year end valuation. TP did not add nor take any distributions. No form number # on document. I am leaning this is an "information only" document and nothing needs to be reported on TP's tax return from this document, am I correct?
    Correct and taxpayer needs to keep track of basis. So if your software allows it input the data to track basis year to year. It will be needed when a distribution is taken.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Leaning

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      Your leaning may be correct based on you reading the actual document.

Best answer would be from your client if received $ (distribution). Have you asked your client or did client contact firm providing the document?

Should be an easy answer
      Last edited by TAXNJ; 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Information only

The client's "document" sounds like a quasi-Form 5498, from the information provided.

Remember that information could perhaps be relevant if there are other retirement accounts rattling around. Did I say "perhaps" ??

Absent money in and/or money out, I don't know what the official IRS guidelines are for the required issuance of said document.

(I'll know more later in the year....as I could not put any 2015 funds into my own Roth IRA and took nothing out. Maybe a Form 5498 will show up??)

As others have noted, I would just file it away and move on.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          Correct and taxpayer needs to keep track of basis. So if your software allows it input the data to track basis year to year. It will be needed when a distribution is taken.
          Why would you need to track basis on a Roth?

Comment

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
            Why would you need to track basis on a Roth?
            Just in case the market dies and there might be a loss upon total distribution . . . . .

As of today the market is down about 12% - he might see that loss sooner than later.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
              I agree and this is what I do.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X