Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing back taxes for MFJ where one spouse died 2 years ago

Weird question...

I have a MFJ couple who haven't filed for 8 years (still open for a few reasons), the husband died in 2014. Upon filing 2008 and thereafter, for example, do I need to indicate that husband is "deceased" and include a Form 56 and have POA sign on his behalf as well as hers (she has POA as well) as opposed to filing each of those not listing him as deceased until 2014? Does that question make sense? Thanks in advance for any help...

I just did the same, spouse died in 2011. I prepared MFJ for the applicable years and single for the surviving spouse beginning with 2012. I input the DOD only on the 2011 return.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Unless there is a legal representative other than the spouse, doesn't the spouse sign the other line as Surviving Spouse? You may have to input a DOD to force your software to print that.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        I just did the same, spouse died in 2011. I prepared MFJ for the applicable years and single for the surviving spouse beginning with 2012. I input the DOD only on the 2011 return.
        Just curious. Didn't you sell your tax practice year before last and say you were only doing representations after that? From your posts, it appears you are still doing returns?

Comment

Working...
        X