Filing a "Corrective" 1040 return before due date of April 18th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing a "Corrective" 1040 return before due date of April 18th

Has anyone used the "corrective return" procedure for correcting a currently filed 1040 return before the April due date? It is my understanding that you can file a corrected return instead of an amended return as long as it's prior to the April deadline and must include a heading description of "SUPERSEDED RETURN" on top of each page of return. Is there any Rev Proc that can be referenced as well?

If anyone has used this procedure, what issues have you encountered? Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Correcting an individual's tax return is done by filing form 1040X. I am not aware of any procedure like the one described in your post, nor can I find any reference to such an alternative method by doing an online search.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

That is the way we used to do it years ago. Apparently, only 1040X is permitted method now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
        Correcting an individual's tax return is done by filing form 1040X. I am not aware of any procedure like the one described in your post, nor can I find any reference to such an alternative method by doing an online search.
        Correct the original filing by making a copy of it into the homebase with the corrected added to the file name. Open this return from homebase, uncheck the electronic filing option boxes for IRS and State, correct the return and when you print it write CORRECTED RETURN across the top.

1040X's should not be used for corrections until after 4/18
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

The IRS will take a 1040-X prior to the due date and process it no problem. For example if you read Tax Topic 308 (https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html) - "If you owe additional tax for a tax year for which the due date for filing has not passed, file Form 1040X and pay the tax by the due date for that year (without regard to any extension of time to file) to avoid penalties and interest." - the sentence only makes sense prior to the due date. Most guidance in the form instructions and the website suggest filing a 1040-X.

However, they'll also process a corrected 1040. See IRM 3.11.6.5.4. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03...1.html#d0e5664

I'm not sure which they prefer, but personally I use the 1040-X whether before or after the deadline.
          Last edited by David1980; 02-05-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
            Roland

A return which changes an original return no later than the due date (no extensions) is called a superseding (or a correcting) return. In addition to what David1980 posted see IRM §3.5.61.1.3 for the difference in definition between an amended return and a superseding return.

IRS ILM 200645019 has a discussion about the difference in the two returns.

After taxpayers file a MFJ return they can only switch to MFS by using a superseding return. See IRM §4.10.8.15.4

To the original poster, you will need to file a paper return. Forms 1120 can be efiled as superseding returns but Forms 1040 can not. Write "correcting return" on the top of the 1040. I would suggest a cover letter citing the IRM and obviously certified mail.

Comment

Both a 1040-X and a "corrected" return filed prior to the due date or extended due date is a superseding returns. IRM 3.11.6.2.3. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03...r.html#d0e1426

"An amended (Form 1040X) or corrected (duplicate) return filed before the due date or the extended due date (posted TC 460) is a superseding return."

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                The IRS will take a 1040-X prior to the due date and process it no problem. For example if you read Tax Topic 308 (https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html) - "If you owe additional tax for a tax year for which the due date for filing has not passed, file Form 1040X and pay the tax by the due date for that year (without regard to any extension of time to file) to avoid penalties and interest." - the sentence only makes sense prior to the due date. Most guidance in the form instructions and the website suggest filing a 1040-X.

However, they'll also process a corrected 1040. See IRM 3.11.6.5.4. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03...1.html#d0e5664

I'm not sure which they prefer, but personally I use the 1040-X whether before or after the deadline.
                I have been told by the horses-mouth (the IRS) that their preference is a corrected return. It totally revokes the original return, whereby, the 1040X allows the original to be filed.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                X