No Health Ins Coverage, NO Shared Resp Penalty Calculated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Health Ins Coverage, NO Shared Resp Penalty Calculated

I know there is another very similar thread going on, but I didn't want to confuse the issue by combining the two, so please bear with this new thread.
    I have a Massachusetts client that did not get any insurance all year. She only made about $15.5K all year. She could have gotten Mass Health for nothing, but still didn't (LAZY!!). So there was no excuse for this. Anyway, I completed the federal and state forms for the health insurance part. I completed the Health Insurance Worksheet and stated no insurance and none purchased through the Marketplace all year. I checked off the box for the whole year. So I went to calculate the Shared Resp. Payment worksheet, but was not able to check off any months on the form unless I overrode the boxes which I didn't want to do. When I did override the monthly boxes to check them off (just to see what would come out) a penalty of about $111 came out. I don't know what I am doing wrong (if anything). I thought she would have a penalty. Would it be because of her low income that I don't have to complete that penalty? I am getting more confused on what is going on. When I go through the review when doing the e-filing on the return nothing appears to be wrong. I also completed the Mass return with no penalty calculated. It did state because of her income. I use TaxAct. Does anyone having any thoughts on whether I am doing something wrong? Thanks for any responses!

Claimed as a dependent maybe? They wouldn't be subject to a penalty in that case (though whoever claims them could be).

I plugged in $15,500 W-2 single filing status no dependents and get a penalty of $325 in my software.

Comment

It seems like it should have a penalty to me (unless it is a Married Filing Jointly return) for $325 (full year).

Is there a Form 8965? What is on it?

Comment

No Form 8965

There is no form 8965 because there is no exemption that she would fit into.

Comment

The penalty is not showing up on Line 61? (Line 38 of 1040A, Line 11 of 1040EZ)?

It could be a software glitch.

Comment

Nothing on Line 16

Nope, nothing shows on line 61. I thought the penalty would show there too. Is there a worksheet that shows the penalty that populates to the line 61 on your form 1040 line 61?

Comment

Have the Answer

Now I get my error. I was checking the full year box on the health insurance worksheet. I did check off the 2 boxes at the top, but also checked the full year box below which is only to be checked off if she DOES have insurance. Now I get the penalty of $325 which makes sense. Thanks to everyone for your postings!!!

Comment

Working...
              X