Family Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Trust

I am still hoping to obtain the Trust docs but as the Trust is titled now on the brokerage statements, it says "Family Trust". I am looking at form 1041 and its giving me all these options starting with:
    Decedents Estate
    Simple Trust
    Complex Trust
    QDT
    ESBT
    Grantor
    Bankruptcy 7
    Bankruptcy 11
    Pooled income fund

Am I on the wrong IRS form to begin with? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Could be. Without the Trust document, you have no idea what kind of trust it is. It might be a disregarded entity and no 1041 needed. Wait for the trust document. The brokerage managed to get it. It's not that hard. The TP has it.

Comment

Family Trust

Typically a family trust was one set up upon the death of the grantor. The issue is, is it a simple trust or a complex trust. To answer this question you must see the trust document. Back when I was younger I did some trust work without the trust document. I just took the clients word as correct. BIG MISTAKE. DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH A TRUST WITHOUT THE DOCUMENT. The only exception is, if the trust is an A/B trust (credit shelter) or some other clearly 100% grantor trust, then you don't need the doc till the grantor dies as no return is due till then. .

Comment

Last year I had a family trust set up as a living trust until first one died. Then it turned out that attorney had done everything wrong and another attorney needed to fix. You not only need the trust document, you also need to carefully read and understand and question it.

Comment

Working...
        X