Final trust tax return with zero income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final trust tax return with zero income

I know that a trust only needs to file an income tax return if it has enough gross income. For a small trust this can mean that one year filing is required and another year it is not required. Is it advisable to file a final trust tax return with zero after the trust has been dissolve to prevent IRS correspondence?

I think it's a good idea for almost any entity to file a return, even if it's not strictly required, but especially in a Trust's final year. Then the "Final Return" box can be checked, and that should stop the IRS from writing to ask why no return was filed.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

I agree with Roland - even if -0- on the return, file as such with the Box marked final

You can also file a form for prompt assessment to limit the term that the IRS has to audit, I believe it is form 4810

Sandy

Comment

Also, you may be cheating the benes out of deductions if you do not file. There are almost always Final Year deductions which pass through on the K-1 for expenses. And maybe Capital Losses if a house was sold.

Comment

Thanks, all good points.

Comment

Working...
          X