Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8867

Hardly breaking news, but from current issue of Kiplinger Tax Letter:

"IRS continues to scrutinize preparers of earned income credit returns.
    It is mailing letters to those suspected of making errors on 2015 returns that claimed the credit.
    Preparers who didn’t file Form 8867 will also hear from IRS."

FE

I would imagine the Turbotax preparers and those preparers filing "self-prepared" returns are the big target with the 8867 not being filed. I would expect it to be near impossible for anyone using professional software as a paid preparer to omit it on e-filed returns. I suppose someone could paper file without a lot more easily.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
      I would imagine the Turbotax preparers and those preparers filing "self-prepared" returns are the big target with the 8867 not being filed. I would expect it to be near impossible for anyone using professional software as a paid preparer to omit it on e-filed returns. I suppose someone could paper file without a lot more easily.
      Most of these so called "Self Prepared" Turbotax returns actually prepared by someone other than the taxpayer are paper filed anyways. Turbotax only allows 5 e-files from their desktop package anyways!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

What is more interesting is that IRS is encouraging Tax Professionals to "alert Clients to Significant Tax Benefit in EITC" IRS issue 2016-4 released on 1/29/2016

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
          IRS is encouraging Tax Professionals to "alert Clients to Significant Tax Benefit in EITC" IRS issue 2016-4 released on 1/29/2016
          Originally posted by FEDUKE404
          It's an election year
          This annual IRS alert has been sent out to us for several years now.
          The "Awareness Day" outreach was launched a decade ago according to this page:
          Join us for Awareness Day on Friday, January 26, 2024 Join us in making the 18th annual Awareness Day as successful as last year’s. We partnered with more than 1,500 supporters with a combined social reach of over 2 million. Partners sponsored over nearly 220 live events and other activities such as news releases and articles for EITC Awareness Day.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404
            It's an election year. . .

FE
            In my county several non profit organizations are holding EITC awareness meetings for voters! They are generally hosted by our state reps!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X