Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travel/Medical Insurance required to go to Cuba deductible for Medical Expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel/Medical Insurance required to go to Cuba deductible for Medical Expense?

Client went to Cuba with a group. Said it was required to have this Medical Insurance to travel to Cuba. I am looking at the policy and looks like travelers insurance that covers:
    $300 for Baggage coverage
    $100,000 Emergency Medical Transportation
    $25,000 Emergency Medical & Dental
    $1,575 Trip Cancelation Protection
    $1,575 Trip Interruption Protection

The cost of this was only $190 for the 2 of them.

Is it deductible for medical?

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
    Client went to Cuba with a group. Said it was required to have this Medical Insurance to travel to Cuba. I am looking at the policy and looks like travelers insurance that covers:

I would say no. I too purchased supplemental insurance to cover these risks when I went to Europe and I did not deduct it. I was particularly concerned about medical insurance because my policy only pays for services rendered in good old USA!
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Cuba travel

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post

1. What was the purpose of the group travel?
      2. If the trip was for a charitable purpose, such as delivering medical supplies, perhaps you can claim some other types of deductions. If it was work related (doubtful), then maybe 2106 type expenses. If the trip was to pursue a sole prop business activity maybe some other type of expense deduction.
      3. I don't recall a prohibition on deducting medical insurance that doesn't meet ACA standards, so I would be inclined to add that amount to Schedule A medical expenses.
      Friends double; family triple. Don't buy an audit for yourself. If someone has to go to jail make sure it is the client. Remember it is only taxes, nothing important.

Comment

Since the portion that was for medical insurance was not a separately stated amount, no deduction. Ref IRC 213-d-6

Comment

From TTB p. 4-6 & Pub 502 p. 8-9:

If the policy indemnifies for things other than medical care, then it looks like the premium portion attributable to medical coverage has to be stated separately to be deductible.

Comment

For a total premium of $190 it is going to be next to impossible to itemize what portion of that is for medical insurance.

Does your client like to roll the dice? I would not deduct $190!
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Thank you everyone.

You all helped answer that one for me! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X