Check issued & received 12/31/2014 but posted 1/5/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check issued & received 12/31/2014 but posted 1/5/2015

Business: Check issued & received 12/31/2014 but posted 1/5/2015. Received meaning landlord physically received check.

Are you asking if it's 2015 income? Yes it is. Are you asking if the books should reflect the received date? Yes they should. Are you asking if you should have an unpleasant conversation with the landlord? If your client, yes.

Comment

I agree with Lion. Similar situation with folks who pre-pay their property tax due in January by end of December to claim the property tax deduction. My town will often times hold the check until due date to cash it!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Date is not when you deposit the check but, rather, when you received it.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Constructive receipt.
          When the money is available.
          Doesn't matter when the check is cashed/deposited.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            Are you asking if it's 2015 income? Yes it is.
            Disagree. I would say 2014 income.

Comment

Oops, I misread, thinking it was sent the end of 2015 to landlord. We tax preparers never know what year it is. I'm still working on some 2014 and prior years given to me very late, and the 2015s are arriving, but I'm paying my own bills now in 2016. The OP check was sent and received in 2014. 2014 income to the landlord; 2014 expense to the renter. It doesn't matter that landlord didn't post it until 2015. I think I have the dates straight per the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
                I agree with Lion. Similar situation with folks who pre-pay their property tax due in January by end of December to claim the property tax deduction. My town will often times hold the check until due date to cash it!
                We recently paid for our PO Box on 12/31/15 for which we had received the bill a couple of weeks earlier. Went to the PO to buy stamps and pay box rent, and they refused to cash check or issue receipt for box rent until 1/1/16 since that was the actual due date.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  We recently paid for our PO Box on 12/31/15 for which we had received the bill a couple of weeks earlier. Went to the PO to buy stamps and pay box rent, and they refused to cash check or issue receipt for box rent until 1/1/16 since that was the actual due date.
                  Isn't that just like a bloated bureaucracy?
                  Turning down perfectly good money because it's being offered too early.
                  That sort of practice would be a firing offense in a well-managed business.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                  X