Filing the 8867

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing the 8867

At two different seminars this past fall (by two different organizations), we were told that Form 8867 had to be submitted as an integral part of the tax return effective in 2015. In prior years, it was to be kept by the preparer only.

My software company disagrees, and their program will not print out the 8867 on the customer copy.

I looked at irs.gov to see the instructions, and now they have many hoops to jump through many screens to simply access their instructions for any given form. Very bad.

Does anyone out there know anything about filing the 8867?

The 8867 was required to be included w/ return beginning ty 2011.

"Almost two out of three EITC claims are prepared by tax professionals. To help ensure that only those eligible get the credit and that everyone who is eligible gets the right amount, the IRS now requires paid preparers to file Form 8867 with any federal return claiming the EITC. This is the same due diligence checklist that for over a decade preparers have been required to use for determining a client’s eligibility and then retain in their records."

Personally I find it much quicker to just google. For example "irs 8867 instructions 2012" and it will normally be the first search result.

As far as it not printing as part of the client copy, that's a function of your software. I'm sure that if you post what software you use, someone here will know how to get it to print.

Comment

The instructions for F-8867 clearly say that the form must be filed with the copy of the return that is sent to the IRS. They don't specifically say that a copy must be provided to the taxpayer, but I would always want the T/P's copy to be exactly the same as what is submitted to the IRS. (Of course if you file the IRS's copy electronically, you really never know exactly what was sent ... and what wasn't.)

Are you SURE there is no way to print F-8867 with the client's copy of the return?
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Printing in Drake

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
        [/i]

Are you SURE there is no way to print F-8867 with the client's copy of the return?
        Roland I am using Drake and there is no way to automatically select 8867 to print. Drake will allow you to go back and print any form as a singleton selection but it is out of the mainstream and out of sequence as well.

Comment

I don't use Drake but google came up with this:

Comment

I use Drake and quite often print out the multiple pages of the form 8867 form.
            I have the few clients that I prepare tax returns with EITC, review the 8867 form, have the client sign the form for my files as acknowledgment of due diligence and correct information.

Also included in the Clients Tax Package.

Snags, maybe post on the Drake Forum

Sandy

Comment

Client Form 8867 always prints

My exposure to EITC returns is limited, but the statement about the Form 8867 requirement by kathyc2 is consistent with what I've experienced in the recent past with such returns.

I've been routinely printing client copies of Forms 8867 for some time, with no extra effort needed on my part. The Form 8867, if used, automatically prints like all other client forms to include a watermarked "DO NOT FILE -- CLIENT COPY" on each page of the client tax return.

As for Drake not "automatically" printing out a client copy of the form. . .seems that is a matter to be taken up with the Drake software folks after a thorough review of the user settings and overall software print instructions? ?

FE

Comment

With Drake, you can always write a macro to do anything it doesn't do routinely. Then all you need to do is remember to hit the key to activate the macro on returns that need the form printed.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Printing "extra" forms for the client

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  With Drake, you can always write a macro to do anything it doesn't do routinely. Then all you need to do is remember to hit the key to activate the macro on returns that need the form printed.
                  With all due respect to Drake, which (from users' comments on this board) is apparently the Cadillac of Cadillacs, why would such "required" forms somehow ever be excluded from the client's copy of a filed tax return??

Obviously you can add some personalized bells & whistles, I assume (ALWAYS print Schedule R??) but what does Drake know that (apparently) excludes the Form 8867 being discussed from automatically being provided to the client as part of their filed tax return? (Last time I checked, tax pros were obligated to provide a complete copy of the filed tax return to their clients.)

I obviously am missing something here. . .

FE

Comment

I just took a look at a client file in year 2014 -Drake Software - When in View/Print Client Return, under Sets, Client, all of the Form 8867 and EIC worksheets are there for print "Client" Also have them under my "Preparer Set"

Sandy

Comment

Can't imagine such an important form not printing. My software automatically prints a copy in every client's paperwork. But if it didn't I could make the program print one for every client by going into the configuration menu and under that print options and checking or unchecking the forms I want to print or not to print. When I first read this post, I thought you meant the 8879 had to be mailed to the IRS and I had not heard that. After reading thru all the follow up, I'm taking it you are meaning you must give a copy to the customer? I've always given every customer a copy of the 8879 and had them sign one that I keep in my file. So trying to understand what has changed.

Comment

Drake doesn't believe it

Originally posted by David1980
                        Tried calling them?
                        Of course. I talked with them earlier today before I ever posted the question.

There are so many capabilities with the Drake printing program I could spend all day with a tutor. I choose not to do so. Neither does my wife who does my printing. The only problem with Drake is that their staff does not believe it is necessary to file 8867 with the tax return, and was intended for the preparer only.

Comment

I never use the print client copy option. I print a copy of the filed return for my clients so they get exactly what is filed with the IRS.
                          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            With all due respect to Drake, which (from users' comments on this board) is apparently the Cadillac of Cadillacs, why would such "required" forms somehow ever be excluded from the client's copy of a filed tax return??

Obviously you can add some personalized bells & whistles, I assume (ALWAYS print Schedule R??) but what does Drake know that (apparently) excludes the Form 8867 being discussed from automatically being provided to the client as part of their filed tax return? (Last time I checked, tax pros were obligated to provide a complete copy of the filed tax return to their clients.)

I obviously am missing something here. . .

FE
                            Good question. I don't know the answer. I haven't even downloaded my 2015 Drake software, and I don't prepare returns with EIC, so I'm not familiar with the specific problem. I just know that the Drake program provides the ability to write simple macros, providing a means to customize virtually any operation one wishes via a single keystroke.

But I think Sandy provided the answer to the problem anyhow.
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                              Of course. I talked with them earlier today before I ever posted the question.

There are so many capabilities with the Drake printing program I could spend all day with a tutor. I choose not to do so. Neither does my wife who does my printing. The only problem with Drake is that their staff does not believe it is necessary to file 8867 with the tax return, and was intended for the preparer only.
                              You should try writing one simple macro. Once you see how it works, you'll find all sorts of clever uses for macros in the Drake program.

I agree that the program has so many capabilities that it's impossible to use them all. But taking the time to learn how to write simple macros is a huge investment in efficiency with a program that's already highly efficient as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X