Unmarried couple wanting to file MFJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unmarried couple wanting to file MFJ

How do others handle the situation where an unmarried couple ask to file MFJ? They have been living together for a couple of years, have one child and another on the way. She has not worked in 2015 and he has a low paying job and they live with her parents. For the upcoming baby, they filed the hospital papers as married.

My thought is to ask them to write out a statement that they consider themselves married and both sign it. Colorado is a common law marriage state.

Any other thoughts?

Originally posted by DonB View Post
    How do others handle the situation where an unmarried couple ask to file MFJ? They have been living together for a couple of years, have one child and another on the way. She has not worked in 2015 and he has a low paying job and they live with her parents. For the upcoming baby, they filed the hospital papers as married.

My thought is to ask them to write out a statement that they consider themselves married and both sign it. Colorado is a common law marriage state.

Any other thoughts?
    Only if the resident state recognizes common law marriage. My wife's cousin is in that situation! Don't understand why they just don't get that Govt. license but they have held themselves to others as a married couple. Own all property jointly too.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
      Only if the resident state recognizes common law marriage. My wife's cousin is in that situation! Don't understand why they just don't get that Govt. license but they have held themselves to others as a married couple. Own all property jointly too.
      Colorado is one of the few states that still recognize common law marriage. Learn common law marriage laws and get answers to frequently asked questions.

Just remember, there is no such thing as common law divorce.

Chris

Comment

Are you saying that they can file jointly on the federal return or just the state return? What is the federal rule that allows this?

I don't believe a "statement" from the couple would have any effect on the IRS. They could become subject to penalties, as could you if you knowingly file a false return.

Tell them to get married.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          Are you saying that they can file jointly on the federal return or just the state return? What is the federal rule that allows this?

I don't believe a "statement" from the couple would have any effect on the IRS. They could become subject to penalties, as could you if you knowingly file a false return.

It's my understanding that the fed makes such determinations based on state law where the TP resides.

Comment

If the state recognizes a common law marriage based on domicile then IRS will allow MFJ
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by DonB
              You CAN'T be serious!

Do you know what the "M" in MFJ stands for?
              Roland Slugg
              "I do what I can."

Comment

What the M ? ?

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                You CAN'T be serious!

Do you know what the "M" in MFJ stands for?
                Where IS that "like" button ? ? ?

(....and don't call me "Shirley" )

FE

Comment

If the state recognizes a common law marriage based on domicile then IRS will allow MFJ
                  Really? I thought Federal law overrules State law.

Comment

Really? I thought Federal law overrules State law.
                    I don't believe there are any federal marriage laws.

Comment

Any other thoughts?
                      I should have written "a couple who have been presenting themselves to friends and others as husband and wife" instead of "an unmarried couple". IMO this is evidence of a common law marriage in a state where common law marriage is legal.

Comment

From Pub 17
                        Considered married. You are considered
                        married for the whole year if, on the last day of
                        your tax year, you and your spouse meet any
                        one of the following tests.
                        1. You are married and living together.
                        2. You are living together in a common law
                        marriage recognized in the state where
                        you now live or in the state where the common
                        law marriage began.
                        3. You are married and living apart, but not
                        legally separated under a decree of divorce
                        or separate maintenance.
                        4. You are separated under an interlocutory
                        (not final) decree of divorce.

Comment

I've been asked once to file a MFJ return for unmarried taxpayers. In that case, they were separated for a couple years and finalized the divorce late in the year and because they were married for "most" of the year, they wanted to file MFJ. I declined of course.

My usual response is something along the lines of "I'm sure if you want to file that way, you could find a preparer willing to do that for you. I'm not willing to do that and if you wish to go elsewhere I'm fine with that." That would be after explaining why it isn't a legitimate thing (whether it's incorrect filing status or non-deductible deductions or whatever.)

Comment

I don't believe there are any federal marriage laws.
                            There are federal filing laws addressing whether two can file MFJ

Comment

We had a client who wanted to claim her boyfriend because he lived with her all year and had no income. So we put him on the return. Two months later she called and wanted to know if because we put him on her return, were they now married? He wanted to leave her and she had told him they were now married. We told her no, but that one of our tax preparers was a licensed minister and could marry them, but only after counseling.

Comment

Working...
                              X