Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phishing Scam Alert

post deleted
    Last edited by jerome; 01-22-2016, 08:22 PM.

In general if you get any unsolicited or unknown sender e-mail with a link or attachment, it is best not to click on it. Certain anti-virus software packages like Norton will actually delete any link or attachment deemed suspicious.

If by chance you click on some link and it starts downloading, immediately kill the power to the computer by switching it off. You will have some startup issues that can be fixed later but at least you prevented a spyware from installing.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Jerome
      Thanks for posting -

Interesting as I received a suspicious email the other day, simply said

"Hello, what are the terms and condition it entails your firm to work on my tax returns for me.I would be so happy to read back from you asap. Regards, Alan." - Exactly posted as in the email!

Thought it was suspicious, as no reference to forms of contact and details - Sent to Spam!

I have already been subjected to opening an email that contained Malware - so not going there again!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
        Jerome
        Thanks for posting -

Interesting as I received a suspicious email the other day, simply said

"Hello, what are the terms and condition it entails your firm to work on my tax returns for me.I would be so happy to read back from you asap. Regards, Alan." - Exactly posted as in the email!

Thought it was suspicious, as no reference to forms of contact and details - Sent to Spam!

I have already been subjected to opening an email that contained Malware - so not going there again!

Sandy
        Obviously English is not this person's first language. That is your first clue that this is a scam
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Grammatical errors in scam emails are often intentional, especially if the intent is to draw the recipient into a complex scheme. The scammer is looking for people who are careless, inattentive to details, or otherwise clueless. So responding to an email with obvious errors marks the respondent as a good candidate for the scam.

Don't know if that is the intent in this case, since the goal is probably to simply get the recipient to open the attachment and let it do its damage. But one never knows what the scammer's objective may be.
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Also to add as I know many people that have emails, texting, etc delivered to their cell phones, --- I do not use my cell phone for emails, texting, etc. Strictly a phone.

Is that I have been receiving phone calls with area codes that I do not recognize, and no voice mail left. This has been going on for weeks and probably associated with my 800# that is diverted to my cell phone.

Finally decided to internet search and preliminary search was "scam"

Motto - No Voice Mail - No return phone call - Next I will try to block the area code/# - I have no clients that would call that I can recognize from the # that is listed.

Sandy
            Last edited by S T; 01-23-2016, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Now that I see this post, I'm an Intuit Pro Advisor and on their website. I've gotten several suspicious emails for work, they always send the supposed business name and info in an attachment. I will not and have not opened an attachment like that. Just curious, is there any other Pro Advisors out there with the same experience? I figured scammers are searching their website for potential victims.

Comment

Working...
              X