New York CEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York CEU

Anyone in New York familiar with the new requirement for CEU when preparing New York state returns. I am in Kentucky and have 2 customers in New York, who are family. I've registered with New York and E-filed their returns for many years. Now I see I am required to complete CEU for New York which does not include the CEU I do for the federal (or at least that's how I understand it). If you prepare a lot of New York returns you are required to do 4 hours, but if you prepare only a few you must do 16 hours of CEU thru New York. Am I understanding this correctly? I also see they have extended the deadline for this to the end of Jan. Does anyone know why someone like myself has to do such a large amount of CEU? I wouldn't even mind the 4hours, but do not feel I want to spend 16 hours just for 2 tax returns. Anyone in New York have any clarification on this for me. Does the CEU I do for federal count for anything with New York.

New York State tax return preparer continuing education requirements
    We have extended the deadline for you to complete your mandatory continuing education to February 1, 2016. We are working to resolve technical issues and appreciate your patience.
    If you need to prepare a tax return and are unable to register as a tax return preparer because you have not completed your continuing education, you will not be penalized. Use your 2015 NYTPRIN when preparing the return.

Did you complete your 2016 Tax Preparer Registration education requirement for tax year 2015—either online or as part of a Tax Department live presentation—after October 1, 2014?

•If yes, you may register as a tax return preparer for 2016 and begin to take the four hour 2017 Tax Preparer Registration education requirement.
    •If no, you must complete your education requirement for tax year 2015 before you can register for 2016.

Note: Courses offered by outside businesses do not count toward your continuing education requirement, regardless of year.

All commercial preparers who will prepare New York State personal income tax returns must complete continuing education requirements. Your status as a personal income tax preparer will be reflected on your registration certificate.

Are you a commercial preparer?

You are a commercial tax return preparer if you were:

paid to prepare ten or more New York State tax returns during 2015 and expect to be paid to prepare at least one return in 2016,
    or
    paid to prepare fewer than ten New York State tax returns during 2015 and expect to be paid to prepare ten or more returns in 2016.
    If you are not a commercial preparer, but wish to have your registration certificate reflect that you prepare personal income tax returns, you may voluntarily complete these continuing education requirements.

Number of hours of continuing education coursework you are required to take:

If you: then you:
    are a commercial preparer who prepared ten or more New York State personal income tax returns during the years 2012, 2013, and 2014

must take four hours of continuing education coursework by the end of December 2016.

This year, you will be required to take nine required classes and one elective class. You may choose any one of the four elective classes offered to complete your requirement.

are a commercial preparer who prepared fewer than ten New York State personal income tax returns during the years 2012, 2013, and 2014 you must take:
    16 hours of continuing education coursework by the end of December 2016, and
    four hours of continuing education coursework each year after that.
    do not meet the definition of a commercial preparer
    are not required to take any courses. You may, however, sign up for the 2017 optional learning course which contains each class offered.

Tax Return Preparer Certification course offered by IRS

If you complete the IRS course for tax preparers, it will not count towards your New York State continuing education coursework. The IRS course is valuable because it focuses on the preparation of the federal return which is the basis of the New York State return. However, it is important for individuals who prepare New York State returns to understand the differences between the New York and the federal returns.

Competency exam

All commercial tax return preparers must pass a competency exam. More information about the exam will be available soon.

How to enroll

You must use the Statewide Learning Management System (SLMS) to enroll in classes. All courses will be completed and are free.

You must access SLMS through your Individual Online Services account or you will not be able to enroll in the required training classes.

Under the left menu, select Tax preparer registration program and then select Register myself as a tax preparer.
    On the Registration and Continuing Education Training Tax Return Preparers page, select SLMS.
    For more information, see How to use SLMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
      Anyone in New York familiar with the new requirement for CEU when preparing New York state returns. I am in Kentucky and have 2 customers in New York, who are family. I've registered with New York and E-filed their returns for many years. Now I see I am required to complete CEU for New York which does not include the CEU I do for the federal (or at least that's how I understand it). If you prepare a lot of New York returns you are required to do 4 hours, but if you prepare only a few you must do 16 hours of CEU thru New York. Am I understanding this correctly? I also see they have extended the deadline for this to the end of Jan. Does anyone know why someone like myself has to do such a large amount of CEU? I wouldn't even mind the 4hours, but do not feel I want to spend 16 hours just for 2 tax returns. Anyone in New York have any clarification on this for me. Does the CEU I do for federal count for anything with New York.
      Go back and look at the definition of commercial preparer as indicated above. It appears you are NOT a commercial preparer and are exempt from the CE

Comment

Thank you I read it wrong because I saw the "if you expect to prepare 1 or more tax returns in 2016. Guess I thought that applied to me when in reading it again, I see If I prepared less than 10 and expect to prepare 10 or more. Appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
        X