1099 misc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099 misc

Do any of you prepare 1099 misc for rent or labor and include amounts that are under the filing threshold? I normally do not, but have some asking for them because they can never remember the amount they were paid.

If it is less than $600 I do not prepare a 1099-Misc except for 1 or 2 situations that I can recall where the taxpayer insisted a 1099 be issued to keep their records straight. I see no harm in issuing a 1099-Misc if it is below the filing threshold.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

1099-farm rent

With crop rent, some years payments are over the threshold and they get a 1099, so the next year when they do not get one because the rent is under they start to worry.
      I think I will stick with not sending them.

Comment

According to my local IRS office, they are no longer stocking these forms, which many small business owners/contractors depended on. I am sure this is going to result in far fewer persons ever completing them.

Comment

1099 Forms under 600

The rule is they are required at $600 or more. It is fine to do them when under $600 but they are not required.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            According to my local IRS office, they are no longer stocking these forms, which many small business owners/contractors depended on. I am sure this is going to result in far fewer persons ever completing them.
            Correct. You have to order from irs.gov and it takes around 2 weeks to deliver. At this late stage head to Staples or get an online service company to do it for around $3 per form.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

it is correct that they are not required for services to rentals however, I issue them whenever the service exceeds $600. and I also issue them for services to my personal residence if I know I am dealing with a sole-proprietor.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I'm getting less willing to explain as time goes by

If a client hands me a list from which they want me to prepare 1099s, I do them all, regardless of the amount. No discussion of the limit.

And I had a stupid conversation yesterday with a girl who kept telling me her friends said she didn't have to report income if somebody paid her less than $600. I asked her, "So do you think I'm exempt from paying taxes? I don't charge anybody $600. Ask your friends what I should do. Have I been overpaying all this time? OMG."

Sent her the TaxTips from irs.gov. Have not heard back.
                Last edited by RitaB; 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM.
                If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  ....And I had a stupid conversation yesterday with a girl who kept telling me her friends said she didn't have to report income if somebody paid her less than $600. I asked her, "So do you think I'm exempt from paying taxes? I don't charge anybody $600. Ask your friends what I should do. Have I been overpaying all this time? OMG."

Sent her the TaxTips from irs.gov. Have not heard back.
                  That is a very common belief that if you are paid less than $600 there is no need to report it as income. I run into this all the time with folks doing odd jobs!

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                    It was my understanding that the red drop ink for 1099's was to go away the year after it did for W-2s. Conspiracy that it's still a requirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X