Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brokerage statement titled with "TTEE" but with a EIN. What form to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brokerage statement titled with "TTEE" but with a EIN. What form to use?

Brokerage statement titled with TTEE but with an EIN. Also has U/A DTD (Under Agreement date of trust document). I have seen these before but with SS#. Do I use a form 1041?

UPDATE: I located the SS-4 issued by the IRS and it states form 1041 is to be used.
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 01-19-2016, 06:35 AM.

Thank you for updating your post with the answer.

Comment

Ss-4

Is it a Revocable Trust or not, that is the question. If revocable trust you do not have to file on a 1041, and normally do not want to. I think you need trust agreement. This must mean this is the first year... Irrevocable means you probably also have gift tax returns.

Comment

Just my 2 cents

Remember that on the same SS-4 letter (also known as CP575 Notice), it states (verbatim) "We assigned you a tax identification number based on information obtained from you or your representative. It is not a legal determination of your tax classification, and it is not binding on the IRS."

We all know that the client will receive a client if you file a return contrary to what the classification states on the letter, but those are the breaks. You just write a letter explaining the "inconsistent" treatment of the actual return you filed and what the IRS might "think" you should have filed.
        Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

That is correct. 1041 not necessarily required. You need to examine the Trust document. If it is a disregarded entity due to its being a Revocable Trust, then all goes on the grantor(s)' 1040, and the EIN should be corrected on the financial accounts to SSN.
          Last edited by Burke; 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't "Rev" appear on the account title?

Wouldn't the word "Rev" or " Revocable" appear on the title of the account?

Comment

Not necessarily. It depends on what the clerk typed in who set up the financial account. Don't ever trust that. Get the Trust Document.

Comment

Irrevocable

I think this is an irrevocable trust and 1041 is required.

Comment

Working...
                X