Referral Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referral Fees

Do any of you pay (or receive) referral fees for new clients? If so, what is it based on?

Referral fees

I pay to the referrer 25% of any fees I collect from the new client for the first four years the new client is with me. For example, if a new client is referred to me and I collect $200 each year for the next five years, I pay the referrer $50 for each of the first four years. This works well for me. I disclose the arrangement to clients, even though disclosure is not required. Disclosure is required for NAEA members.
    Christopher Mewhort, EA
    mewhorttax.com

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle View Post
      Disclosure is required for NAEA members.
      So an EA who pays any kind of referral fee must disclose this to the client? That's interesting.

Comment

If a client sends me a referral I give the client 15% off prep fees as a thank you.

I believe the disclosure comes from if you receive a fee. For example if you refer a client to an investment advisor and the investment advisor then pays you a fee, it should be disclosed.

Comment

Disclosure requirement

EAs are not required to disclose. Members of NAEA are required to disclose (NAEA requirements).
          Christopher Mewhort, EA
          mewhorttax.com

Comment

Wow, Uncle, so generous! I discount the fee of the referring client if the new client uses my services.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Discussion with local preparer here for many years reveals he pays 25% to the referrer as a one-time fee (if that referrer is not a client, say another tax preparer who does not want to take any new ones on.) Which would be deductible as an expense. I suppose discounting to an existing client for a referral would have the same net effect.

Comment

I have never paid a referral fee nor have I received or asked for a referral fee. I simply send the person who made the referral a thank you note or e-mail. I generally don't mention the client's name in the note.

As for those paying referral fees, I hope you remember to pick up the fee as income if you prepare that person's return.

Comment

Working...
                X