Hairdresser booth rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hairdresser booth rental

I took over doing a return for a hairdresser that rents a booth at another hairdresser's salon. Her last return listed the business name as the owner of the person she is renting from. I don't think this is correct. I have always listed the name of the person who rents the booth in the business name. Am I doing this incorrectly? I told her that if the way it has been done continues, and if she also rents a booth from another salon then she certainly wouldn't list both salons as the business name. And what address of the business would be listed? Thanks

Just fills a Pigeon Hole

I think the name itself is a non-factor. What really is important is the Federal ID# (or SS#).

Fact of the matter is that the hairdresser may not really have a name of her own. If Marla Thomas rents a booth from "The Mane Attraction" then all her customers only know her as "The Mane Attraction" and she is not known by any other name.

I can tell you this much, if Marla had a payroll, her name would simply be Marla Thomas with a social security # as an identifying number. This would be true unless Marla opted to be a corporation or LLC filing as a C corp or S corp. Even then, I don't think she would have a different name from the store as a D/B/A

Comment

She should be listing her own name (and EIN/SSN) as the business name, unless she is an LLC, etc with another name. It should not be the name of the place she rents from.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks for your input. I will continue to do them as I have by just listing the person's name that is renting the booth (not the owner of the salon).

Comment

Does it really matter? The business name, if there is one, goes on line C (Form 1040), which even says: "Business name. If no separate business name, leave blank."
          Roland Slugg
          "I do what I can."

Comment

I once saw a return for a fellow that worked for a half dozen or so companies and got 1099-MISCs for them. He had a half dozen or so Schedule C's. Each Schedule C listed the name, EIN, and address from the 1099-MISC. That made me giggle a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              I once saw a return for a fellow that worked for a half dozen or so companies and got 1099-MISCs for them. He had a half dozen or so Schedule C's. Each Schedule C listed the name, EIN, and address from the 1099-MISC. That made me giggle a bit.
              We had a new preparer that listed the EIN and name etc of the company that issued the 1099M on the Sch C of our client. The problem was, the company that owned the EIN # had back taxes owed. They were trust fund taxes for 941s. The IRS grab our clients refund to apply to the EIN that owed the 941 taxes. It took over 2 years to get that cleared up.
              You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Issue a 1099-misc For rents paid?

Now should their be a 1099-misc issued to the hair salon owner for rents paid in 2015?

Comment

Yes.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X