Driver license id update ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver license id update ???

Has anyone read an official IRS statement that Tax Payer driver license is required in preparing tax return?

A 12-3-15 post mentioned that a software company said the IRS is requesting or requiring the ID.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

TAXNJ I haven't seen anything from the IRS saying it is required. Might be coming from some States. From what I have read it is optional.
    The Verification number, if on a W-2 will have to be input on the return. This is a pilot program between IRS and some employers.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      TAXNJ I haven't seen anything from the IRS saying it is required. Might be coming from some States. From what I have read it is optional.
      The Verification number, if on a W-2 will have to be input on the return. This is a pilot program between IRS and some employers.
      Thanks. Yes, understand that some states may require but the prior post mention only the federal. Just wondering if it was only the particular software.

Comment

ProSeries Message says....

ProSeries says the IRS urges we put the Drivers Lic. on not that is required.

Read the bulletin I posted before:

Comment

Help vs Bulletin

Originally posted by August @ ADG Financial View Post
          ProSeries says the IRS urges we put the Drivers Lic. on not that is required.

Read the bulletin I posted before:

https://accountants.intuit.com/suppo...AX&id=INF29070
          The Original Post is asking if and where the IRS states what Pro Series is stating - that's all.

Think Pro Series is not consistent with their wording as you say a "ProSeries" bulletin article says the IRS urges we put the Drivers Lic.", vs. in Pro Series software, the line "HELP" states "The IRS and state revenue agencies are now requesting that Driver's License or State ID information is included in the return for both taxpayer and spouse ....."

Comment

Is it in other software as well?

Comment

Lacerte

A reply poster in the 12-3-15 post stated that LACERTE (sister company of Pro Series) did not have that field box.

(see 12-3-15 post reply) by Y2KEA "I have the second release of Lacerte 2015. I don't see any box for the requested data. "
              Last edited by TAXNJ; 12-16-2015, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Have not seen any new info regarding it. Interestingly, I did find some info on the web that people using Turbo Tax were required to provide the info last year in IL, MO and other states. I e-filed both IL and MO returns last year through Pro and was not asked for the info, nor do I see a place to enter the info on the 2014 software. I'm wondering if Pro thinks more states might be requiring it, and are just trying to head it off by putting it on the federal info sheet.

Comment

Yes, but

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                  Have not seen any new info regarding it. Interestingly, I did find some info on the web that people using Turbo Tax were required to provide the info last year in IL, MO and other states. I e-filed both IL and MO returns last year through Pro and was not asked for the info, nor do I see a place to enter the info on the 2014 software. I'm wondering if Pro thinks more states might be requiring it, and are just trying to head it off by putting it on the federal info sheet.
                  Agree that some states may require the info, but Pro Series is saying both Federal and states requesting such info. If a company is going to make such a statement, at least reference the specific statement of the source - that's all.

If that was done there would have been less posts on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                    A reply poster in the 12-3-15 post stated that LACERTE (sister company of Pro Series) did not have that field box.

(see 12-3-15 post reply) by Y2KEA "I have the second release of Lacerte 2015. I don't see any box for the requested data. "
                    Today's Lacerte 2015 release now HAS boxes for a DL#, state of issue, expiration date, and issue date. If these boxes are left blank, there is no diagnostic warning that the data is required for the federal or CA e-file. Or at least not yet. It may happen in future releases.

Comment

Thanks

[QUOTE=Y2KEA;176870]Today's Lacerte 2015 release now HAS boxes for a DL#, state of issue, expiration date, and issue date. If these boxes are left blank, there is no diagnostic warning that the data is required for the federal or CA e-file. Or at least not yet. It may happen in future releases.[/

Thanks for the update. So far it seems to be an Intuit issue/recommendation for the future. Pro Series from what I understand, there is no diagnostic warning that the data is required for the federal. But like you say It may happen in future releases or the IRS may have it in the instructions when released.

Comment

[QUOTE=TAXNJ;176872]
                        Originally posted by Y2KEA View Post
                        Today's Lacerte 2015 release now HAS boxes for a DL#, state of issue, expiration date, and issue date. If these boxes are left blank, there is no diagnostic warning that the data is required for the federal or CA e-file. Or at least not yet. It may happen in future releases.[/

Thanks for the update. So far it seems to be an Intuit issue/recommendation for the future. Pro Series from what I understand, there is no diagnostic warning that the data is required for the federal. But like you say It may happen in future releases or the IRS may have it in the instructions when released.
                        If states are requiring the info for "self-prepared" returns, it makes sense that Intuit is the leader of putting it in the software because of TT. I don't think it will come from the IRS, but some states could impose a late issued requirement of it in order to accept the state form. If Pro thinks that might be the case, I'd rather they put it in the early release rather than try and reprogram after we have started processing returns.

Comment

Diagnostic warnings are exactly that: warnings. They are meant to remind you to enter data if it is required. Much of the diagnostic warnings are not for required info. I don't check the diagnostic box when I am reviewing the return for errors. Does the list of Forms Used on the left side show an error? If it doesn't then it isn't required.
                          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

state of Virginia actually has it on page 2 of their form. But only the last 5 numbers.

Comment

Efiel

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                              Diagnostic warnings are exactly that: warnings. They are meant to remind you to enter data if it is required. Much of the diagnostic warnings are not for required info. I don't check the diagnostic box when I am reviewing the return for errors. Does the list of Forms Used on the left side show an error? If it doesn't then it isn't required.
                              Yes, also efile errors review

Comment

Working...
                              X