Ein and whose it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ein and whose it is?

We have an ein but we don't know who, the exact name it is registered to. There is no paper work. How can we find out?

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    We have an ein but we don't know who, the exact name it is registered to. There is no paper work. How can we find out?
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but it sounds like your client has an EIN that was issued to them but they don't know the exact wording of the company name? If so, any correspondence with the IRS would have it along with logging into EFTPS to see the official name.

Comment

?

Curious. How did you get the EIN? Lost and found (only kidding). Follow what KathyC suggests.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

This has come up before on this board, and the consensus was that there is no national database of EIN's to refer to in order to find out the name of the company/estate/trust, etc it was issued to. Some states that use the FEIN may have such a database. Kathy2's post seems to indicate you can log into EFTPS to access?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          This has come up before on this board, and the consensus was that there is no national database of EIN's to refer to in order to find out the name of the company/estate/trust, etc it was issued to. Some states that use the FEIN may have such a database. Kathy2's post seems to indicate you can log into EFTPS to access?
          I wasn't entirely sure what was being asked, but I took it that the EIN belonged to client and there may have been some confusion as to if it was registered to a person as in SP or an LLC under company name. If the client has an EFTPS account, logging on to it would show the exact name that the IRS has attached to number.

If the EIN belongs to a publicly traded company, you can google EIN XX-XXXXXXX to see who it belongs to. There are sites that say they can do a reverse EIN lookup of private companies for a fee.

Comment

Correct

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            You are correct "Some states that use the FEIN may have such a database".

That might be the only way. Original Poster does not seem to indicate any info about the client in their possession (confusing).

However, there is a way for "misplaced or lost" EIN as mentioned below:

source: IRS

Lost or Misplaced Your EIN?

If you previously applied for and received an EIN for your business, but have since misplaced it, try any or all of the following actions to locate the number:
            •Find the computer-generated notice that was issued by the IRS when you applied for your EIN. This notice is issued as a confirmation of your application for, and receipt of an EIN.
            •If you used your EIN to open a bank account, or apply for any type of state or local license, you should contact the bank or agency to secure your EIN.
            •Find a previously filed tax return for your existing entity (if you have filed a return) for which you have your lost or misplaced EIN. Your previously filed return should be notated with your EIN.
            •Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at (800) 829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

Comment

On second thought I'm guessing it is coming from a 1099 notice name/number mismatch. If a business is not a LLC or corp, the legal name to have a match is the owners name. These happen quite frequently. The company may have the vendor set up at Joe's Landscaping and then that is how the 1099 is generated. However, the legal name to have a match would be Joe Smith, and second line could say d/b/a Joe's Landscaping. The W-9 contributes to the problem as there is a single box to check which includes all individual/sole proprietor or SMLCC.
              Last edited by kathyc2; 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

No need

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
                On second thought I'm guessing it is coming from a 1099 notice name/number mismatch. If a business is not a LLC or corp, the legal name to have a match is the owners name. These happen quite frequently. The company may have the vendor set up at Joe's Landscaping and then that is how the 1099 is generated. However, the legal name to have a match would be Joe Smith, and second line could say d/b/a Joe's Landscaping. The W-9 contributes to the problem as there is a single box to check which includes all individual/sole proprietor or SMLCC.
                No need to guess since the Original Poster has not replied to any of the reply posters comments. Maybe it was resolved. If not the Original Poster should provide more info (NOT ANY PRIVATE CLIENT INFO) as to the problem to take the guessing out of the post.

Comment

the ein was associated with a bank account, but the bank had no official paper that showed that number to the name on the account. Now the client needs to change banks and the new bank wants verification that number belongs to the client that is trying to open the account. I went on line to several places trying to find a reverse link to the name, and twice it came up that no name was associated to that number. I don't know if the number was put down wrong originally or what? I don't t hink I can fix this for them, probably have to reapply

Comment

Ask the IRS for a copy of the EIN acceptance letter.

They will mail you one. Then you will the original document.

Dusty

Comment

How

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
                      They will mail you one. Then you will the original document.

Dusty
                      How is that done? Have you been successful in getting one?

Interesting to know the IRS area to contact and info needed to provide to the IRS

Thanks

Comment

the ein was associated with a bank account, but the bank had no official paper that showed that number to the name on the account. Now the client needs to change banks and the new bank wants verification that number belongs to the client that is trying to open the account. I went on line to several places trying to find a reverse link to the name, and twice it came up that no name was associated to that number. I don't know if the number was put down wrong originally or what? I don't t hink I can fix this for them, probably have to reapply
                        Is your client a business? Has he been filing tax returns under that number?

Comment

Working...
                        X