Fein#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fein#

Partnership dissolved. Partner keeps running old business using same name with little variation and has no employees. Intends to stay at a sch c level. Bank is requiring a FEIN # for the new checking account. Does TP really need a new #? I suppose an argument could be made if TP contracts someone for a job and needs to issue a 1099. I think I just answered my question.

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
    Partnership dissolved. Partner keeps running old business using same name with little variation and has no employees. Intends to stay at a sch c level. Bank is requiring a FEIN # for the new checking account. Does TP really need a new #? I suppose an argument could be made if TP contracts someone for a job and needs to issue a 1099. I think I just answered my question.
    You can issue a 1099 w/ a SSN instead of an EIN, but for security purposes probably not the best idea.

Comment

Banks require EINs for business accounts whether or not the business needs the EIN for other purposes. The original business was dissolved so the EIN no longer applies. Did the TP open a new business account? If not he should when the business was dissolved.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Legal

Originally posted by TAX4US View Post
        Suggest client get legal advise from a Tax Attorney.

Was business properly dissolved and liabilities addressed? If (as you state "keeps running old business using same name with little varations, same name, etc) will former partners be held accountable for current business actions?

Just some questions your client may want to get answers.
        Last edited by TAXNJ; 11-26-2015, 08:13 PM.
        Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
        X