Astoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astoria

Rode the hog over to Astoria yesterday and Ilwaco today. I would highly recomend a trip there. All kinds of history and lots to see.

Where are those places?

Originally posted by veritas
    Astoria and Ilwaco
    In Oregon?

Is that a town named after J. J. Astor?

Comment

Astoria is in Oregon and it was named after John Jacob Astor. Your knowledge never fails to amaze me.

One fascinating site is a column on a hill patterned after Trajan's column. It was rededicated a few yeras ago by Lord Astor a decendant of JJ.

Ilwaco is in Washington named after two Chinook indians I believe.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by veritas; 07-07-2006, 11:37 PM.

Comment

South of Astoria

I use to work in Warrenton for West Coast Airlines, back in 1966; yes, it is beautiful county, we were camping over the 4th at Nehalem Bay State Park and watch the parade and fireworks in Manzanita. Great parade, they had some bikes in the parade, along with everything else in the town that moved.

Comment

Nice pic.

Originally posted by veritas
          Astoria is in Oregon and it was named after John Jacob Astor. Your knowledge never fails to amaze me.

One fascinating site is a column on a hill patterned after Trajan's column. It was rededicated a few yeras ago by Lord Astor a decendant of JJ.

Ilwaco is in Washington named after two Chinook indians I believe.
          That is a pretty column. Funny how those guys were so "arty" while, simultaneously, feedin' people to the lions (or maybe that was before/after his time -- I paged through "The Decline and Fall..." but never really seriously got into it).

My wife says I never cease to amaze her either -- I think she put it: "I can't believe how much completely useless junk clutters up your head." Nevertheless, although my granddaughter thinks Astor was probably one of my contemporaries, what brought that to mind was when we were kids, a female who was "putting on airs" was called "Mrs. Astor."

You know, your posting about motorcycles has kind of gotten me interested again after all these years. I was thinkin' I might just check out the paper for used bike ads (cheap metrics, of course). I paid $300 for mine -- I suppose they're up a bit?

Comment

Astoria, NY

There is a section of New York City (I believe it's in the Queens borough) called Astoria. I wonder if this too was named after the same person?

Comment

Hallet's Cove

>>named after the same person?<<

It was originally called Hallet's Cove, but they renamed it when J.J. promised to invest $2000 in the community. (He stiffed them, of course.)

I only mention this so Black Bart will understand that New Yorkers are really no challenge to this California kid.

Comment

>>Astoria is in Oregon and it was named after John Jacob Astor.<<

Astoria is in Wright County, MO, and believed to be named after John Astor. I never met the guy and don't know anything about him.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA
                  There is a section of New York City (I believe it's in the Queens borough) called Astoria. I wonder if this too was named after the same person?
                  I beleive Astoria is where Archie and Edith Bunker live.

Comment

Lived there for a few years in the late sixties. Astoria, Queens is a nice bedroom community for many people who work in the lower Manhattan financial community. About a twenty minute train ride to Manhattan or about an hours walk for those so inclined.

Comment

Working...
                    X