Fileable Forms and Schedules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fileable Forms and Schedules?

I recently began using a new software program that prints out massive numbers of schedules and statements in their "government filing" copy of the tax return. For example, a passthrough recap with prior year carryovers, and one with basic information, an income from passthrough statement for every passthrough entity, and statements for all tax lines in which I entered a series of numbers with descriptions to be able to check my work. I do not think most of these pages have to be attached to the return (the client will file by paper). Thoughts?

You may be able to set parameters on which forms print. For example in ProSeries different printing for filing, client and preparer copies. Then under each you can set it to "if required" or "if used".

Comment

Or you can accept the defaults and switch your billing practices - start charging by the page...
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I called software support and was able to get most of the objectionable pages to turn off, but the few that are left need to be a software change, so I will just pull them out of the paper return.... It's weird that the software hid the ability to suppress printing in the fileable forms view.... my old software made it pretty clear!

Comment

Possible solution

Originally posted by KarenMM View Post
          I called software support and was able to get most of the objectionable pages to turn off, but the few that are left need to be a software change, so I will just pull them out of the paper return.... It's weird that the software hid the ability to suppress printing in the fileable forms view.... my old software made it pretty clear!
          Assuming you can print the return to a PDF file, why not do that instead and then (easily) select which pages to actually print from the PDF viewer, such as pages 1-12, pages 17-24, and similar?

(I can't imagine why ANY software would print out a bunch of worksheets for anything marked as "filing copy." While any "preparer copy" and perhaps "client copy" might have a need for some of the worksheets you described, printing all of that stuff for theoretically sending to the IRS/state makes zero sense!! )

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            (I can't imagine why ANY software would print out a bunch of worksheets for anything marked as "filing copy." While any "preparer copy" and perhaps "client copy" might have a need for some of the worksheets you described, printing all of that stuff for theoretically sending to the IRS/state makes zero sense!! )
            I've seen prior year returns from my new clients where the prior year preparer felt the need to print tons of unnecessary stuff to be included with the filed copy. I've seen it, to a lesser degree, here occasionally as well. I think some people feel that if they send in supporting documentation for some items they can try to avoid an audit. For example if they're claiming unusually high mortgage interest some year they might want to attach an explanation.

Personally, I think the IRS completely ignores that extra material. But that's probably the sort of rationale behind an option to print a bunch of worksheets as part of the filing copy.

At least as long as it is an option and not forced?

Originally posted by KarenMM View Post
            was able to get most of the objectionable pages to turn off, but the few that are left need to be a software change,
            That just surprises me. Is it something like a cover sheet for the filing copy? Filing instruction letter?

Comment

Sending unnecessary documentation to the IRS

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              I've seen prior year returns from my new clients where the prior year preparer felt the need to print tons of unnecessary stuff to be included with the filed copy. I've seen it, to a lesser degree, here occasionally as well. I think some people feel that if they send in supporting documentation for some items they can try to avoid an audit. For example if they're claiming unusually high mortgage interest some year they might want to attach an explanation.

Personally, I think the IRS completely ignores that extra material. But that's probably the sort of rationale behind an option to print a bunch of worksheets as part of the filing copy.
              Agree. Just this date I had a discussion with a client who wanted to attach all kinds of stuff to his 2014 return (resident alien with new wife who only recently arrived in US).

Years ago, people much wiser than me (not an overly difficult task!) explained to me how I should NEVER send any "extra" stuff with the filed tax return. Aside from perhaps unnecessarily waving a very large red flag in the first place, if the IRS wants something more they will ask.

(Side note: Since the IRS is doing some ever-increasing arm-twisting forcing all preparers to efile, how would your "worksheets" ever make it to the IRS in the first place?? )

FE

Comment

(Side note: Since the IRS is doing some ever-increasing arm-twisting forcing all preparers to efile, how would your "worksheets" ever make it to the IRS in the first place?? )
                The obsessive ones that attach every worksheet ever probably don't realize what they see in their software and what the IRS gets a copy of isn't the same thing. So just don't know that it isn't part of the e-file. (or maybe they only paper file?) The ones that just want to attach an explanation for something specific could rely on attaching a statement/notes to the return - there is a way to include in e-file. Same way an election statement gets attached.

Comment

I can set my file copy, my client's file copy, and the government copy which is actually e-filed or rarely printed and mailed. I put everything into my file copy and have it go straight to .pdf. I put a little less in the client's file copy. I accept my program's default of what is required in the government e-filing. I can also choose from several selections for K-1 summaries, such as only when more than one activity or suppress printing. I have global defaults set for all returns but can still change print selections for a specific return. Poke around in all your software settings and options and menus.

Comment

I watermark a copy of the filed copy for the client. This is all that is required to be given to the client. I don't use the client copy option and I pdf everything I have used in the preparer copy.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Assuming you can print the return to a PDF file, why not do that instead and then (easily) select which pages to actually print from the PDF viewer, such as pages 1-12, pages 17-24, and similar?

(I can't imagine why ANY software would print out a bunch of worksheets for anything marked as "filing copy." While any "preparer copy" and perhaps "client copy" might have a need for some of the worksheets you described, printing all of that stuff for theoretically sending to the IRS/state makes zero sense!! )FE
                      I do pretty much the same thing; but I can do it within my Print Control parameters. I just check "Custom" and check what I want it to print for the client copy. Otherwise, it would auto-print reams of unnecessary paper. It also remembers which pages I checked if I have to go back again. The selected pages will vary by the client's type of return.

Comment

Working...
                      X