Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted Charles E. Boles aka....

Black Bart

July 25, 1878 Black Bart leaves another signed poem after stealing $379 and a diamond ring worth $200:

"here I lay me down to sleep
    to wait the coming morrow
    perhaps success perhaps defeat
    and everlasting Sorrow
    let come what will I'll try it on
    My condition can't be worse
    and if theres money in that box
    Tis munny in my purse
    Black Bart
    the PO 8"

No response Black Bart?

Did you miss this one?

Comment

You took the words right

out of my mouth.

No, sorry; I didn't. I wuz just fixin' to reply to it right now and it popped up on the screen when I came back from gettin' the quote.

Thanks for the biography. Yeah, I do sort of admire the dapper ol' gent (it's hard to feel sorry for Wells Fargo -- have you seen the interest rates they've got on their credit card "pre-approved" offers?).

At the moment he seems to have done better than me - financially speaking. Business is so slow around here that $379 in cash and a diamond ring would look pretty good. One of my business clients said of his situation: "I'm so broke, I can't pay attention!"

Comment

Handlebar Mustache

Discussion of the Black Bart of old conjures up images of a real Joe Shagnasty, black clad with a waxed mustache, handlebar style, and a nervous habit of twirling it with his index finger.

This guy ties the girl to the railroad track, blows her up in the abandoned mine, and ropes her to a log on the sawmill conveyor (from "Along Came Jones" of Kingston Trio fame). Also bad about foreclosing on acreage owned by poor farmers after a bad crop, when in a matter of days the railroad is coming to pay a fortune for right of way.

This guy is really BAD, Dan Duryea style. Sorry guys, don't try to get my attention with a modern version of Black Bart. The new villain is at his worst when making noises with his straw when drinking milk. Worse than that, he is an E A.

Comment

Hi there,

Nice to have you back.

Comment

"Along Came Jones"

Snag,

In the interest of historical accuracy, I humbly submit that "Along Came Jones" was first recorded by The Coasters, and later by Ray Stevens.

The Kinston Trio did "Tom Dooley" who was not a cad, but just misunderstood.

Comment

Ray Stevens

This is Snag - been awhile since I've logged on from this computer, so the TTB security has exiled me into an endless loop of trying to recover my password. I'll fool with it someday but not today.

At any rate, I remember the Ray Stevens version too, and it was perhaps the best because it interspersed screams of the girl into the music with the sadistic snorts and sneers of the villain. Ray was always good at special sound-effects.

Jones himself must have been an imposing figure. Rode a white horse and had a rock-ribbed, stoic lantern-jawed countenance. To match the times, clad in white -- also very broad at the shoulders and able to snatch the girl out of harms way at the last fleeting moment. (Sandy and Gabriele please hold it together and don't faint on me...)

Yes, larger-than-life characters like Gary Cooper used to rule the airwaves.

Comment

C'mon

C'mon, just one more post? I've enjoyed this thread...

Comment

Working...
                X