OT- sales tax laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT- sales tax laugh

In Indiana peanuts do not have sales tax, honey does not have sales tax but honey roasted peanuts have sales tax.

Chocolate chip cookies do not have sales tax, but chocolate chips in a bag do. Candy bars are taxable except for Kit Kat and Nestle Crunch.

Go figure...

NJ laugh

Tile contractor can tile a floor and NJ no sales tax. However if they tile the walls = NJ sales tax!!! How would you like to break out that bill for the customer and then explain it?

Reason? NJ reps. cannot explain the reason other than it is law!

When telling client (Tile Contractor) how the sales tax is to be presented, who do them blame? Us.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Lobbyists

Originally posted by kathyc2 View Post
      In Indiana peanuts do not have sales tax, honey does not have sales tax but honey roasted peanuts have sales tax.

Chocolate chip cookies do not have sales tax, but chocolate chips in a bag do. Candy bars are taxable except for Kit Kat and Nestle Crunch.

Go figure...
      Think it is the peanuts, honey, Chocolate chip cookies and Kit Kat and Nestle Crunch LOBBYISTS influence.
      Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
        Think it is the peanuts, honey, Chocolate chip cookies and Kit Kat and Nestle Crunch LOBBYISTS influence.
        Well, being IN you would think if they made any candy w/ corn syrup it should be exempt. I few years back the tourism slogan was "There's more than corn in Indiana".

Liked your tile one. State sales tax laws are just crazy. Someone had told me that in OH that if you get your fast food from the drive through it's exempt, but if you go to counter it's taxable. If I wanted to "dine in", I'd go through the drive through to order and then park and take it in.

Comment

Washington briefly had a candy tax (food is generally exempt here). It basically came into existence then the voters passed an initiative to exempt it. We were also taxing bottled water.

When we had the candy tax, candy was defined to not include anything that contains flour. Which exempted kit-kat bars. I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana has a similar definition.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
            Washington briefly had a candy tax (food is generally exempt here). It basically came into existence then the voters passed an initiative to exempt it. We were also taxing bottled water.

When we had the candy tax, candy was defined to not include anything that contains flour. Which exempted kit-kat bars. I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana has a similar definition.
            I'm sure that's what it is, and the rice in Nestle Crunch is the exclusion.

However, I think I'm going to buy the variety bag of candy this Halloween and file a GA-110L w/ the state to get a sales tax refund based on the percentage of Kit Kats or Crunch in the bag.

Comment

Promise me you will do that. LOL.

Comment

OT = candy

My glucose reading increased 20 points with all this good food !

Regards = Ricardo

Comment

Working...
                X