EA vs CPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA vs CPA

Good morning, I have recently taken and passed all three test of the EA exam, I passed on the first try each time, but obviously don't know how well I did. Whether I barely passed or killed it. I was curious if anyone knew how much more difficult the CPA exam is. I have read that it is very difficult, but didn't know if anyone had taken both, and had an idea of how much more difficult it is than the EA.

I have NOT taken the CPA exam, but this is what I've 'heard' from others: The CPA exam is EASIER for TAX stuff (the 'tax' ["Regulation"] test is only one of four tests), but includes a whole bunch of difficult accounting stuff in the other tests that I'm clueless about.
    Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 09-16-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Even if you pass and take it - do you qualify to be a CPA?
      In my state you have to earn a Masters in Accounting (essentially) and put in 2 years of public auditing to call yourself a CPA. My Masters doesn't qualify and I have no interest in doing public auditing.

When I took the EA exam - back when it was all done once per year - 1/3 of test takers passed.

Comment

EA vs CPA

As Roberts suggested - you really need to check your particular state's Board of Accountancy rules
        for becoming a CPA - each state has differing rules.
        You need a combination of 5 years of college (in most states) combined with a combination of actual learning experience
        time.
        EVEN in passing the exam - each state has differing rules on the obtaining credit for passing the exam.
        (ie - how many sections you need to pass at once to get credit, then how many successive exams you
        can carry the credit forward to pass the other portions).

CPA exam covers hundreds of financial accounting and auditing subjects. Tax is only one subject and is usually
        given on one section of the exam - when I took it - it was Problems - don't know what it's called now.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

From my understanding the EA exam is strictly tax. CPA exam is roughly 25% tax- which is more focused on corporate rather than individual and the balance is financial audits and procedures, SEC compliant financial reporting, fund accounting, business law, etc. At least those are the parts I remember.

It varies by state but generally need a minimum of 150 college credits to sit for exam and then if pass experience either working in a CPA firm or in industry under the direction of a CPA to obtain license.

Comment

EA vs CPA

"CPA exam is 25% tax" -

NOT TRUE.
            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

When I took it, it was. Is it more or less now?

Comment

Okay, I take that back. That's what I get for relying on memory. The 1 of 4 part w/ tax also included the gov't, NFP, and managerial accounting segments, so it was probably 10-15%.
                Last edited by kathyc2; 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Better

If interested on current requirements. You should contact one of the CPA review course companies, e.g. Becker CPA Review. Also your state board. Would think a good university accounting dept would provide info you need to know
                  Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                    If interested on current requirements. You should contact one of the CPA review course companies, e.g. Becker CPA Review. Also your state board. Would think a good university accounting dept would provide info you need to know
                    State requirements for CPA certification is listed on your state Board of Accountancy web site!

Comment

tough response

If you plan to take the exam then recommend you do your homework (you may consider this a tough response and good if you do) because it is a lot of work and time to do this undertaking. Have you taken any accounting courses in college?

The EA exam is difficult and the CPA exam maybe more difficult for some and requirements tougher.

Here is freebee for you below, but if you take the exam it's no picnic you will be doing much reading on your own to figure things out and not rely on a message board.

good luck if qualify
                      Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 09-16-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I have a bachelors degree in accounting, I have been in public accounting for three years now. I don't think the experience will be the issue. But I'll certainly check to make sure. I passed the EA each time on the first try. I was just curious as to how much more difficult the CPA exam was.

Comment

Congrats

Originally posted by ConnorandCo View Post
                          I have a bachelors degree in accounting, I have been in public accounting for three years now. I don't think the experience will be the issue. But I'll certainly check to make sure. I passed the EA each time on the first try. I was just curious as to how much more difficult the CPA exam was.
                          Congrats on the EA. I guess mean you passed each part at 1st try.

Go for the CPA exam with your background and have the time and drive you should do well. Once you get both then you can name your ticket.

Again good luck

Comment

Yes that it was I meant, grammar, ugh. If I had used a calculator to type that it would have been phrased correctly.

Comment

Good lord forget it. *What.

Comment

Working...
                              X