Obtaining copy of fraudulently filed tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining copy of fraudulently filed tax return

Client was victim of someone filing a 2014 tax return using his social security number. Recently read article (attached) says that IRS will release a copy of the fraudulently filed return to the victim. How is this requested? Should the client call IRS and request over the phone? Or should a Form 4506 be submitted? From what I can see, the Form 4506 does not appear to deal with fraudulently filed returns. Is there another or a better method? Thanks.
    Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM.

Author

Recommend contacting the author of the article. They are the one stating it can be done and would know. Let us know - it would be interesting to know the results.
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Waiting

Did you contact the author?

If not, read 2nd paragraph on link below (seems you will have to wait)
      Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
        Did you contact the author?

If not, read 2nd paragraph on link below (seems you will have to wait)

http://www.ayotte.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1971
        If the IRS is going to redact info on the return then there will be no way to identify the filer. I would image the redacting would include the refund option, address if different, any account numbers etc.

Does this mean the return is available via POA on EServices?
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Think

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          If the IRS is going to redact info on the return then there will be no way to identify the filer. I would image the redacting would include the refund option, address if different, any account numbers etc.

Does this mean the return is available via POA on EServices?
          Think you need to ask that question to the commissioner

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier View Post
            Client was victim of someone filing a 2014 tax return using his social security number. Recently read article (attached) says that IRS will release a copy of the fraudulently filed return to the victim. How is this requested? Should the client call IRS and request over the phone? Or should a Form 4506 be submitted? From what I can see, the Form 4506 does not appear to deal with fraudulently filed returns. Is there another or a better method? Thanks.
            My client whose return was rejected due to previously filed, went down to the IRS office in March before we completed the 14039 etc, and got a transcript printed off right there which we could review. It did not contain preparer info nor bank information for the direct deposit, but we could see what information they used to file it (correct names/addresses/SSN's of primary taxpayers) and the amount of the refund they got. The TP's actually have 2 dependent children who were not shown on the return. I would think you can get a copy via 4506 if you want to pay for it. Normally a transcript does provide the preparer EIN if any. So we are assuming no preparer info was entered.
            Last edited by Burke; 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

How is knowing that information going to aid the client? Other than just satisfying their curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
                How is knowing that information going to aid the client? Other than just satisfying their curiosity.
                I guess it would be a matter of knowing how much "Real" information is on the return other than SS#s.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

That's pretty much it. But you are so mad at the time, it's worth the minimal effort to go get it, and not having had one before, it was an interesting exercise. All info on the return was correct, not counting the omission of the dependents, except for the (made-up) income/withholding. Since a check would have been sent to the TP's address, it had to be direct deposit. An actual copy of the return would have bank information on it, normally. Plus when requesting via 4506, you can ask for the W-2. Whether one would get it or not, I don't know. And it costs $50. Is it worth it? Probably not. She's now whole. And I see where the IRS is mandating the earlier submission of W-2 info so some of these can be avoided by their matching program.
                  Personally, I would like to see the tax filing season not begin until February 15 and extend the deadline to May 30.
                  Last edited by Burke; 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Extend Filing Season

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                    Personally, I would like to see the tax filing season not begin until February 15 and extend the deadline to May 30.
                    Or do like the UK and have a really long filing season. In the UK the tax year ends on April 5 and the filing period is April 6 to the following January 31.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                      Since a check would have been sent to the TP's address, it had to be direct deposit. An actual copy of the return would have bank information on it, normally.
                      I could be wrong but I think on all these returns they have the money automatically deposited onto a prepaid Visa Card. Those are untraceable. The IRS says those can't be identified versus regular bank accounts which makes sense. The crooks then get a cash withdrawal once the money is on the card.

Comment

Tax and UK

Originally posted by AZUKHiker View Post
                        Or do like the UK and have a really long filing season. In the UK the tax year ends on April 5 and the filing period is April 6 to the following January 31.
                        Based on history US and UK did not agree on the way the UK taxed

Comment

King George

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                          Based on history US and UK did not agree on the way the UK taxed
                          Only wanted to tax tea.

Comment

Today

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                            Only wanted to tax tea.
                            That was enough back then to get things going. Interesting today that tea is taxed in the U.S.!

Comment

I could be wrong but I think on all these returns they have the money automatically deposited onto a prepaid Visa Card. Those are untraceable. The IRS says those can't be identified versus regular bank accounts which makes sense. The crooks then get a cash withdrawal once the money is on the card.
                              Well, that's resolved simply enough. Stop issuing them. Require the checks to be cashed at approved locations with proper ID, if they don't have a bank account. There are places that will cash these checks. The State of VA just announced they will no longer issue the debit cards.
                              Last edited by Burke; 08-24-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X