Fyi irs phone scam warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fyi irs phone scam warning

Client called to tell me about a phone call from IRS. I asked her to email me the details of the call. She then sent me this email:

A man by the name of Paul Turner, called me from a Washington phone # 509-492-3428. He called me and told me that he was the attorney that represented the IRS. He went on to read to me what would happen if I didn't cooperate with them. He said that I would have my accounts garnished and that I would spend time in prison as well. This reading and explanation of what would happen to me and how I committed a crime of fraud went on for a few minutes. I interrupted him several times because first of all he spoke to quickly and second of all he had an accent. He seemed to get upset with me and said that I had an attitude. He gave me a step by step procedure that I would have to follow in order to keep him from calling the sheriffs department. Step 1. I am to go to my bank and take out $3579.00. Step 2 when step 1 was complete, he would get me in contact with an IRS agent at the IRS building, I would have to get a receipt from that agent once I paid this off and send that receipt and a copy of a photo of myself to the email address: federaltreasury@usa.com. He told me that I would have to do all the procedures before he disconnects from me on the phone. He said if I hang up he would take that as if I were not cooperating and he would immediately call the sheriffs department and they would be waiting for me at my home. I told him if that was the case that he would be on the phone for quite awhile because I was on the road and no where near my home. I also told him that I needed to talk to the person that is taking care of my taxes and also my husband. He told me that it seems like I was trying to run. He also told me that I shouldn't talk to anyone about this because of confidentiality purposes. He also kept telling me that I our conversation was being recorded. I told him I would like a copy of the recording and he brushed me off.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Traveling West

Nothing new, remember the "60 Minutes TV show post? Similar scams as you mention happened last year on the East Coast on the mainland. Sounds like the scammers are going to your beautiful state.

As you know, there are many reccomendations and articles on the IRS website addressing the scams. We sent letters to all our clients highlighting the scams and IRS recommendations about the scams Bottom line - tell them not stay on the line and to hang up on the scammers so to enjoy those beautiful beaches and water in Hawaii
    Last edited by TAXNJ; 08-04-2015, 08:10 PM.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      Client called to tell me about a phone call from IRS. I asked her to email me the details of the call. She then sent me this email:

A man by the name of Paul Turner, called me from a Washington phone # 509-492-3428. He called me and told me that he was the attorney that represented the IRS. He went on to read to me what would happen if I didn't cooperate with them. He said that I would have my accounts garnished and that I would spend time in prison as well. This reading and explanation of what would happen to me and how I committed a crime of fraud went on for a few minutes. I interrupted him several times because first of all he spoke to quickly and second of all he had an accent. He seemed to get upset with me and said that I had an attitude. He gave me a step by step procedure that I would have to follow in order to keep him from calling the sheriffs department. Step 1. I am to go to my bank and take out $3579.00. Step 2 when step 1 was complete, he would get me in contact with an IRS agent at the IRS building, I would have to get a receipt from that agent once I paid this off and send that receipt and a copy of a photo of myself to the email address: federaltreasury@usa.com. He told me that I would have to do all the procedures before he disconnects from me on the phone. He said if I hang up he would take that as if I were not cooperating and he would immediately call the sheriffs department and they would be waiting for me at my home. I told him if that was the case that he would be on the phone for quite awhile because I was on the road and no where near my home. I also told him that I needed to talk to the person that is taking care of my taxes and also my husband. He told me that it seems like I was trying to run. He also told me that I shouldn't talk to anyone about this because of confidentiality purposes. He also kept telling me that I our conversation was being recorded. I told him I would like a copy of the recording and he brushed me off.
      Did this crook have an Indian or asian accent?

Crooks spoof the caller ID and # so don't trust that. The only smart thing to do is immediately hangup!
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

The 509 area code is for my section of Washington State -- the east side, from the Cascades to the Idaho border. I called that number and an East Indian sounding voice was on the voice mail. Paul Turner is a columnist in our local Spokane paper. Maybe the scammers are trying to use local names and/or phone numbers to appear more credible. Or maybe not . . . .

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Maribeth View Post
          The 509 area code is for my section of Washington State -- the east side, from the Cascades to the Idaho border. I called that number and an East Indian sounding voice was on the voice mail. Paul Turner is a columnist in our local Spokane paper. Maybe the scammers are trying to use local names and/or phone numbers to appear more credible. Or maybe not . . . .
          Today's technology allows them to fool the caller ID. Some cases they can show your own name and telephone number when calling you on your phone.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Dealing with IRS spam calls

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
            Today's technology allows them to fool the caller ID. Some cases they can show your own name and telephone number when calling you on your phone.

The telephone number cited is well-known and my access to www.nomorobo.com automatically blocks it, and many others, on the first ring.

As for spoofing: I recently returned home from a location in the western US and found that I had called myself (!) from my home landline while I was driving through Kansas. WOW !!

FE
            Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X