Forum Relevance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Relevance

This is going to be difficult to craft a message such as this, but I believe the time is overdue. I haven't communicated with the TaxBook monitors, but they are free to delete the post or leave stand if it has credence. There have been times in the past that I have voiced considerations that we should observe as members, and it hasn't always been agreeable with everyone. I have been also accused of trying to run the board with my own set of convictions - that is not true but I can understand how one could conclude such.

The TaxBook pays for the IT expense of developing and maintaining this board, and many of us have found it extremely useful to ask and answer questions, share expertise, etc. Although there is a cost, TTB furnishes use for its customers as a free service, and hopefully receives some benefit for expanding the TTB growing reputation as a source of help for tax preparers. In the early years it became necessary to set forth rules to keep its use from being ruined by a few avaricious individuals. But in the years since, it has been a magnificent soundboard for tax information, strategy, and comradery. I am one of the earliest users, and certainly must be among those who have benefitted and enjoyed the most.

I am concerned about the continued usefulness of the forum. Whereas we are not having wholesale attacks on members by other members,
    partisan political arguments, advertising, and breaking of the rules, we are beginning to have other problems. I am noticing LESS participation by members I consider knowledgeable and authoritative, and MORE participation by other members whose conversation doesn't go anywhere.

I have gone out of my way to contact some of our members who rarely post anymore, and they are posting on other message boards. Instead of availing themselves to our questions and discussions, they are doing this elsewhere. These have been replaced on our forum by members who seem compelled to answer every post with little or no relevant solutions. Posts who do not answer original questions but instead ramble on with their own agenda which isn't even relevant, or introduce new and uninvited tangents. Posts which argue with other posts - not with authoritative information but with obtuse debating countenance devoid of substance. Questions which by their own content reveal their entire existence is begat by a severe lack of training or education. Posts which suggest ridiculous or Draconian solutions. Posts by people who love to hear themselves talk and bear virtually no content.

A serious question is often posted, then met with some of the above, and the boat is scuttled.

It's not like my own messages are pure as freshly-fallen snow, and if not, I hope I can improve. Many of you know my participation from the early years of TTB, and know me to be less than perfect, and certainly NOT among the knowledgeable members. But I am addressing the value and relevance of exchange of ideas we have versus what we had before so many of our better members stopped participating. Finding real relevance is like wading through sludge instead of finding help in crossing, or finding others who add to your pursuit.

To try and wrap-up this already-too-long message, I might suggest that "less is more." If we can't answer or shed light on a question, we shouldn't try to do so. If we want to morph a topic into something different, start a new thread instead of trying the change the subject. If we want to argue, do so with well-researched information, and most of the arguing will evaporate. If you write just for the joy of writing, see a publisher. I would simply ask to return the forum to a friendly and authoritative source, and all who read this are capable of helping to do so. Posting a question or even asking for conversation should not be met by a morass of nothingness, when instead there can be a knowledgeable and helpful discussion.

Although I will admit to having some names in the back of my mind, I am not trying to attack anyone or any group. I am obviously not going to be the most popular kid on the block. This is an honest effort to make the forum better, and if indeed I have an agenda, it would only be that the improvement would benefit myself greatly by becoming a source of help and information that it was intended to do.
    Last edited by Snaggletooth; 08-01-2015, 02:58 AM.

I hear you and I agree with you, Snag.

Comment

Snag

I have noticed the comments that take the thread away from the original question. When this happens, I just move on to another thread. It's a problem that we face, living in a country with freedom of expression. An annoying problem but a good problem.

Comment

You can't force people to give good answers.
        Last edited by Bees Knees; 02-22-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Everything old is new again?

I vaguely remembered this post and while looking for it, noticed a lot of knowledgeable people that were posting in 2015 are no longer active or rarely active. Granted, in over 5 years, part of it is because some posters are no longer in the business.

I don't know, but intuition tells me the same couple people Snag had issues with years ago, are the one's that I still see as causing trouble currently.

I've been a professional preparer for many, many years and I still learn things on this board all the time. Not just from questions I have, but from questions others ask.

Over the course of the summer I noticed most of the activity was personal jabs between a few of the members and posted that the bickering was out of control. It was months before I even looked at the forum again.

Tax season started, and like I'd done in previous years, I'd check in a few times a day to take a break from prep. Unfortunately, even during tax season, so many of the posts are a few people bickering back and forth with each other.

I've learned a long time ago to never say never, but for now I'm done as it's no longer an enjoyable break from prep. There are certainly members who's posts I will miss but wading through the BS is not worth it right now.

I could have just disappeared like so many others have done, but after 6 years, I felt an explanation why was in order.

Comment

There are two troubles I've had (besides the "what are ya' stupid" responses). One is the folks who respond with their point of criticism without even trying to see if their fellow professional might be making a valid point that they are not even trying to understand. The second is the ones who mouth off about an issue or concern but refuse to respond to requests for clarification, or are even offended if you ask for clarification on their less-than-clear posts.

I used to think of this forum as a place for dialogues, but in the past few years, the bullying tactics really turn me off. I made a comment about the "morons" in Washington and someone seemed to think that only the folks they like are "morons" and accused me of being political (demanded that my posts be deleted which they were). Has anyone here even noticed that our extremely competent and erudite elected officials have no concept of how time works? Maybe "morons" is too strong a word, but it is hardly taking sides in a political manner. I don't blame members for feeling picked on, it is so common that I find people are understandably overly sensitive about things here. Not a place for a dialogue at all.
            Doug

Comment

kathyc2: come join us on the civil ATX Community. the UNofficial ATX message board. Lots of former and never ATX users discuss tax and are almost always helpful to one another. I don't use ATX but am on every day for the tax knowledge of the members. We also have sub forums for several other tax prep software.

Comment

Someone dug out my post from years ago, and from the comments made, it looks like "the more things change the more things stay the same." Lion is one of the better members, and is active on this board and the other ATX board she mentions. I was on the other board for awhile as well, and one of the monitors kept deleting my posts because I would refer to congress as one of our worst problems. Many of the better members once on this TMI board are on the ATX board, and most of them left because there were too many smart-alecks on this one. They are well described nn my original post, resurrected from the past. Lion, you are great and I hope you visit us often.

Comment

Wow! Thank you, Snags. I try. But I know I get really cranky during tax season. And, much too sensitive. I have little patience for argumentative posts, especially when they aren't answering the OP, maybe off on a tangent of hypothetical issues. But I still learn a lot from reading tax message boards. This one used to be very active, but good people have left. ATX (which by the way, has deleted my posts, chastised me, etc.) remains mostly civil and very active. NAEA has some people who will jump all over you if you give a wrong reply or even ask a too-basic question; so I don't do much posting. I do learn a lot from reading, though.
                  Last edited by Lion; 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Lion, if you're feeling your oats, try to answer my question below about overdrawing trust corpus. "Wasted distribution money."

The moderator on ATX is a great person and very smart. But too quick to pull the trigger. She thinks she is like the military police guarding Ft. Knox. After so many deletions I finally got tired of it. I know the people here at TMI personally and they are super people - family operated.

Comment

Times have changed. In this era of disinformation, scams, and ID theft, professionals have become more cautious about participating in puplic online forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                        Times have changed. In this era of disinformation, scams, and ID theft, professionals have become more cautious about participating in puplic online forums.
                        Bees Knees lives !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Times have changed - you used to post here (unless you've adopted a new user name(s) ).

Comment

Bees Knees was the MAN back in the day!!!!
                          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes, I live. No, I have not adopted any new user names. Sorry I cannot explain why, but I no longer participate in public tax discussion forums.

Comment

Do you still play in the Bees Knees band

Comment

Working...
                              X