Documenting Conversations with Clients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documenting Conversations with Clients

Would like to ask the forum, how do you document conversations with clients? Over the phone or in person.

I have not been doing this and it appears I probably should.
    I've had a couple of clients come back on me this year saying I told them one thing when I know I did not.

Should I be writing down things like the above and having clients sign off on it?

I greatly appreciate any input
    Last edited by geekgirldany; 07-27-2015, 05:28 PM.

Yes

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
    Would like to ask the forum, how do you document conversations with clients? Over the phone or in person.

I've had a couple of clients come back on me this year saying I told them one thing when I know I did not.
    For example, I told a client three years ago that distributions would be applied to a loan from shareholder until the balance was zero. She is now saying that I did not tell her that. Which has resulted in some problems.

Should I be writing down things like the above and having clients sign off on it?

Yes and give client a copy so if it happens so they will remember the conversation.

Also, more important is to discuss with your legal counsel such issues and what your policies should include to protect your firm and your clients.
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I use email for the majority of questions and answers. You could send an email to the client as a followup to the conversation and ask whether they have any further questions on the issue.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thank you both for responding.

It looks like I will have to document every conversation. Then for anything I think the client may question later, have them sign off or get a confirmation email back that they understand. I can't believe I am having to go to such lengths to cover myself.

I've offered the client to amend the previous year return to correct the distributions/LFS.
        Last edited by geekgirldany; 07-28-2015, 01:46 AM.

Comment

No more

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          I use email for the majority of questions and answers. You could send an email to the client as a followup to the conversation and ask whether they have any further questions on the issue.
          At first years ago email was the way. (Then again back then a good old handshake was the way). But found out with "privacy", and Internet hacking, etc it would and had created problems. So it's either with client at office or their place or certified return receipt US mail.

A little more time involved but find it works for us.
          Last edited by TAXNJ; 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

I've not experienced any problems...anything confidential is faxed...other general questions/answers by email. I also scan and save every note, document etc from/to the client
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post

Couple of years back I had an issue with one of my clients who claimed that I did not "say something" or to that effect. Since then when I am asked a tax question I respond by e-mail and I ask them to e-mail me the question. For those who don't e-mail and just call, I will write down what my answer was in their files.

As an example last week I got a call from a longtime client regarding some income producing properties that she and her siblings will own (Mom is going to a nursing home), but the ownership is different and there is a will etc. Told her we need to meet with the relevant documents and her attorney if he was involved in drafting the documents. All will be documented in writing because I don't want any slip ups!
              Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
              X