W-7 Submitted with tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-7 Submitted with tax return

I've always submitted an individual tax return (1040) with an application for an ITIN unless one of the exceptions applied. But my question is "Will the IRS accept a form 1120 with the W-7 application? Have researched and can't find anything about it so am asking if anyone has done this before and was it accepted? By the way, after waiting on hold 90 minutes to talk to the IRS, I was put on hold another 10 minutes while the agent went to research. The answer was, "I suppose it would be okay, I mean I can't really say for sure." Does anyone have any experience filing an 1120 with the W-7?

Why W-7?

Why would you be sending a W-7 with form 1120. The W-7 is only for individuals getting an ITIN. Corporations need an EIN applied for online or using form SS-4.

If you are needing an ITIN for one of the shareholders or directors of the corporation filing the 1120 then they would need a W-7 submitted through the normal channels for an ITIN application.

Comment

W-7

I'm wondering since he's the sole shareholder and hasn't received any income yet if he can apply for the ITIN with the 1120 filing since he's not filing an individual tax return yet and doesn't fall under one of the exception rules. Do you know if the IRS will consider processing the W-7 if it comes in with the 1120?
      Last edited by lts12166; 07-13-2015, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Assuming the client will eventually need an ITIN to file his personal tax return then that application will be done on the W-7 and filed with his personal return. If you need to enter an ITIN on the 1120 i.e Schedule G then just enter "Applied For".

Originally posted by lts12166 View Post
        I'm wondering since he's the sole shareholder and hasn't received any income yet if he can apply for the ITIN with the 1120 filing since he's not filing an individual tax return yet and doesn't fall under one of the exception rules. Do you know if the IRS will consider processing the W-7 if it comes in with the 1120?

Comment

Working...
        X